Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help on identification - 4946 AC T748

robmar

Dec 8, 2015
Hi all,
I'm trying to identify the component as per the attached photo.
It bears the marking 4946 (logo) AC (delta) T748, and it is a 8-pin SMD (SOP?) package.
I've already done extensive searching and my findings have narrowed down the possible choices to:
1) Maxim MAX4946
2) A 748 op-amp

Now, the second option is very likely wrong. The "748" is placed at the end of the marking, where usually is shown the manufacturing date a/o production batch. Moreover, the signals and supply routed to the 8 pads are not consistent with the functions of the respective chip pins as shown on the 748 datasheet.

The first option could be a good guess instead, since the device I'm trying to repair is showing a diagnostic error code indicating a fault on supply voltage, and the MAX4946 is designed for this precise purpose.
The doubts come from the logo shown on chip. It is not the MAXIM logo for sure, and as far as I know no other manufacturer has ever produced the 4946. Also the MAXIM datasheet shows that the only SMD package available for the 4946 is the 8uDFN, that's not my case. Moreover, the MAX4946 is almost impossible to find.

I don't have a schematic available for the device under repair (a servo drive) but I'm sure having identified the faulty component, since the voltage diagnosed as wrong is actually correct, and the fault itself is temperature-dependent. It comes on at the first power-up (device cold) and disappears after a minute or two of thermalization. I was even able to reproduce the fault by freezing / heating locally the would-be 4946 and every time the fault appeared when freezing and disappeared heating.

You can easily understand my frustration of seeing a "case solved" transform into "mission impossible" because the lack of a component :(

I apologize for the long post, I was just trying to provide as much info I could.

Any suggestion appreciated, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20151208_193846.jpg
    20151208_193846.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi, welcome

NOTE it's labelled T8 instead of IC xxx indicating it's likely to be a transistor
as in note the IC26 below that device

NOTE at least 2 sets of pins go to same sets of PCB tracks
That negates the 2 IC's you mentioned and makes it more like a transistor

and because of the way the dual sets of pins go to same bits of tracks its more likely to be a
dual FET of some type

Dave

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
looking at the datasheet for the MAX4946 my main worry is that one of the output pins
is connected to a ground pin

Clipboard01.jpg

namely pins 5 and 6 ... this doesn't seem right IF your chip is one of those

Dave

robmar

Dec 8, 2015
Hi Dave,
Good point! (and good eye!)
Following my enthusiasm for having found the fault, I completely overlooked the fact that this is the only chip labelled Txx instead of ICxx on the silkscreen!
I did notice, instead, the connections betweeen pins 5-6 and 8-9 but thought there were independent outputs one of which, for design reasons, was tied to GND. But on closer observation the three output pins of the 4946 are internally connected together so my assumption makes no sense at all.

Thanks a lot for opening up my eyes and pointing me in the right direction ! :)

Now if I only could find out what's inside that mysterious chip...

robmar

Dec 8, 2015
Thanks again Dave, now I'm confident we are tracking down the right beast... Just looked at the dual fet chip datasheet and now the connections between pins 5-6 (both drain2) and 7-8 (drain 1) make a lot of sense! Already ordered a couple with 24h delivery, I can't wait for testing it :)

When two hours ago, in a very depressed state, I joined the forum, I wouldn't have expected such a quick solution!
Kudos to you, you made me happy again, and it's no small thing :D
I'll keep you updated about the progress of the repair, have a nice day (or night? I always get confused with time zones)
Roberto

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I'll keep you updated about the progress of the repair, have a nice day (or night? I always get confused with time zones)
Roberto

yup please, look forward to hearing how you get on
its middle of Wednesday here in Sydney Australia. Am at work and having lunch

D

robmar

Dec 8, 2015
So, as promised, I'm back bringing the latest (good) news...
Thanks to Dave's precious enlightenment, I've been able to catch the very nature of the beast, quickly sourced the most probable replacement part and grabbed it with glee, singing as I soldered that jumbuck in its circuit pads "You'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me" :D.
The first glance at the chip's marking removed all doubts about the correct identification, (see photo) and, needless to say, before long the servo drive was running smoothly again :)

Thanks so much Dave, without your help I could have drowned into the billabong of my wrong assumptions...
Keep up the good work!
All the best,
Roberto

Attachments

• 20151210_230207.jpg
    20151210_230207.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 96

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
thanks for reporting back :)

you are welcome

D