Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help me locate the problem (no power)

chaos1986

Jul 24, 2010
OK so I purchased a faulty Dell 2408wfp screen from eBay, now the problem is that it doesn't switch on, so when I received it the first thing I checked was the power button to make sure that it wasn't just a faulty power button, nope that worked fine, so the next thing I checked for was blown capacitors, i figured it would probably be this, but alas after very close inspection by both me and my partner we failed to find any, ok so the next thing we checked for was burnt out chips or any black marks, nope, nothing, nada.

So I figured I'd power it on and see if I can find any clues, now stupidly my partner touches one of the silver heat-sink things and gets a surprise of the electric variety (very small electric shock, nothing serious didn't even hurt or make his hair stand on end)

So there IS electric getting to part of the power board and it's not the fuse, So after some failed Googling I eventually found this forum. So i ask Electronics Point, what is the problem, why won't the screen turn on.

There is no power LED, no nothing, it appears dead (I was told the screen is in good nick, and it appears that way as there are no scratches, pressure marks or dents)

Here is a picture of said screen (and the bag of obligatory nut shells)

dscf1202d.jpg

Last edited:

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
You will need a multimeter, and to test it with power on. Is the mains voltage correct btw.?
The first thing to check is if you have at least 300VDC on C605.
The next is to check for voltage on C601, C611, & C622.
Then there's a fuse next to the power output connector.
Are there any voltages on that connector at all?
Is it supposed to have a standby function?

chaos1986

Jul 24, 2010
You will need a multimeter, and to test it with power on. Is the mains voltage correct btw.?
The first thing to check is if you have at least 300VDC on C605.
The next is to check for voltage on C601, C611, & C622.
Then there's a fuse next to the power output connector.
Are there any voltages on that connector at all?
Is it supposed to have a standby function?

I don't have a multimeter handy, I have thought about the fuse, but i got a small shock from one of the silver things on the power board so it can't be that, and yes the mains voltage is correct

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
I meant the yellow soldered fuse by the output, not the standard replaceable 5x20mm by input. And the silver things are called heatsinks btw.. No meter = blindfolded..