Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hello From Mass. Newbie here.

trope

Aug 9, 2011
Hi,

My name is John, I am 37 years old ( yes, old I know ). I have been a computer programmer for almost 20 years, with experience ranging from Assembly to Cobol, and more recently(past 9 years) PHP, MySql, C++, etc. I am a web applications programmer for a major bank in the Boston area.

For many years I have had a desire to learn electronics. Recently, I decided to devote the time to this.

I have been intrigued with Kipkays projects, and am currently building his lie detector project, which only has a few components.

I have read through three books, cover to cover, to get the basics down.

1. Electronics for Dummies

2. All New electronics Second Edition

3. Everyday Practical Electronics

I think I have the fundamentals down, except I am missing that pivotal point in my learning, only which I can describe and equate to learning a new programming language, when everything "CLICKS".

I am not there yet.

Anyways, this is an introduction forum, so .... I am engaged and have a two year old. I like to fly remote controlled airplanes and boats. I am one of those idiots who buys the new gadgets as soon as they come out ( then fight with my g/f a month later when it is out dated, and I want to sell it to buy a newer version ).

I am excited to be here. I know I am so close to nailing down my "HELLO WORLD" electronics project, but need a little nudge.

Keep an eye out for my newbie questions if you are able to lend a hand.

Best Regards.

John T (TROPE)

daddles

Jun 10, 2011
Hi, John! I also do electrical stuff as a hobby. I've got two tips for you. First, one of the best references you can have to teach yourself is "The Art of Electronics". It's quite good and only requires freshman-level math. It will give you insights other books won't. Second, spend significant effort learning experimental techniques (i.e., build things). This will teach you things you can't learn any other way (and it will also teach humility :D). I like the experiments at AAC, but there are a gazillion other resources available and lots of projects.

One of the BEST things you can do is find a project/device that you desperately want to have, but can't buy. Thus, you're forced to make it for yourself. You will learn an enormous amount along the way of designing and implementing the thing. Even if you never realize the goal of having the device, the journey is worth more than the destination.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hey John
welcome to the forums :)

naaa you're not old, 50+ is the "old farts club" haha

Im 52 and from Sydney, Australia, been playing in electronics for more years than I care to remember :)

I am old enough to remember when Everyday Electronics and Practical Electronics were 2 separate magazines. MANY of my early projects came out of everyday electronics.

Dave

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010

Hi there John. I am also fairly new to the forum, you sound like you finely got the bug, the electronics one that is. I only have the tools i left school and college with, my interest in electronics is self tought. Once you get the fundamentals soughted it all comes together, my interest is building power supplys, yes boring to some, yet fascinate me, nothing works with out one. Hope you enjoy it, Dave.