Maker Pro
Maker Pro

guitar electronics help

AOS87

Apr 4, 2012
Bill Lawrence l500xl 5 wire color code
Model Coil Start Coil Finish Polarity Coil Start Coil Finish Polarity Ground
standard White Green -South Red Black +North Blue

I have a Washburn X-41 guitar H S S, that i had changed the 5 way switch to a different 5 way switch. Both of them are import switches the original one had 8 lugs that i think were numbered 1 2 3 0 0 1 2 3 which would be Bridge, Middle, Neck, common, common, Bridge, Middle, Neck. The new one only has 7 lugs 1 2 3 0 1 2 3 Bridge, Middle, Neck, Common, Bridge, Middle, Neck. Now i have tried to wire the bl l500xl as best i could or at least the way i though it was supposed to go but i have a few questions. 1. where would the blue wire from the bl pickup go? 2. where does the blue wire (ground wire for bridge) from the back of the the tone pot go? The pickup is working but i am getting a lot of noise and it seems to get worse when i use the switch, obviously i need to ground the switch but i don't know where. I am somewhat new at guitar electronics so any help would be appreciated, i don't want to take it to anyone because i would like to learn how to do this kinda stuff.

Attachments

• wshbrnx41importstch.png
    wshbrnx41importstch.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 737

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
Disclaimer, I don't know squat about guitars.

But, common sense tells me that the new switch and the old switch are the exact same except the new switch has one less pin because internally they tied the two commons together.

Are you telling us that you already tried to hook it up the same way as the old switch and it wouldn't work? What two wires where connected to the switches common post on the old switch?

AOS87

Apr 4, 2012
in the original switch 1 common had the white wire from the volume pot lug , and the other common had the ground wire from the humbucker pickup and the blue wire grounding the switch, volume, and tone pots. also the original pickup only had 2 wires the hot and the ground where'as this bl l500xl has 5 wires.