Connect with us

Grounding in a switch

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by electronics2u, Aug 21, 2012.

1. electronics2u

electronics2u

Aug 21, 2012
    So my computer has 1 analogue audio output (3.5mm or 1/8" minijack of course). Sometimes I want to use my good quality headphones, sometimes my speakers, sometimes a headset with its noise canceling mic. So I need a switch to select between 3 outputs. Now each minijack has 3 conductors (the ground is shared). Can I share the ground and use just a 2 conductor switch? Would that influence the sound? 2 conductor switches are much easier to find than 3 conductor switches in my area plus they're less expensive.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    ground is ground, if you have all connected to a good ground at all times you (theoretically) would just need to switch the other 2 connections.

Be careful when selecting switches though, you want the best connections you can possibly find

it may be easier to just find a prebuilt audio switch, or if they are all powered, just get splitters

3. electronics2u

electronics2u

Aug 21, 2012
    That's great news. That will simplify things!

Ask a Question