Connect with us

Getting wired for the U.S. and Italy!!!

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by [email protected], Feb 8, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest


    I am looking to buy an inkjet printer, DVD recorder with hard disk, and
    home theater system. The problem is that I am living in Italy
    (220V/50Hz) and may move to the U.S. (110V/60Hz) in the future. I
    would the option to use these electronics in both countries.

    I have the option of buying the products in the U.S., but would prefer
    to buy them here in Italy. From a technical standpoint, is it better
    to step down from 220/50 to 110/60 or step up?

    I would like to avoid purchasing a voltage transformer/converter. Is
    it feasible to have these products rewired by an electrician to handle
    both voltages and frequencies?

    I assume there is some form of a motor in all of these products. Is
    this a problem as far as the frequency is concerned?

    Thanks in advance for the help!

  2. Kim  Sleep

    Kim Sleep Guest

    Well, I don't know about the stepping up/down of voltages, but the video
    equipment wont work here because of PAL/NTSC differences. I would think
    that stepping down voltages would be easier, as its easier to remove
    voltage, than it is to boost (?)
  3. ILYA

    ILYA Guest

    Step-down transformer or Step-up transformer is practically equal,
    because its just simple transformer, BUT:

    Many devices has wide input power voltage and multiple standard support...
    Price of plug adapter from Euro to US about 1-2$

    U may buy multi-zone DVD-device or cracked DVD-devices...
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day