Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Generator AVR

rasmus

Nov 6, 2014
Hello

what are the best logic/way behind generator AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator) troubleshooting ?. What will you look for first and what is the proper way to test these things ?

Thanks in advance guys

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
You will need to find out the broad principles of the generator and regulator to determine what to test.

What are the symptoms? To much or too little output.

I would separate the generator from the regulator and put a variable supply into the regulator and observe the output.

Let us have specifications and pictures of what you have.

rasmus

Nov 6, 2014
What are the symptoms? To much or too little output.

Too little or almost no voltage most of the time is the problem that i face with generators.

I would separate the generator from the regulator and put a variable supply into the regulator and observe the output.

By variable supply you mean a Variac ?

PS

just to mention this is not a current problem that i am dealing with at the man time

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
A Variac would do if the generator is AC and has a similar voltage output to the Variac.

The energising voltage is possibly low voltage DC. You could try using a Variac to drive a 12V battery charger to provide variable excitation and measure the resulting output voltage.

Divide and rule.

debe

Oct 15, 2011
Asuming its a 110/240v ac gen. Heres the circuit of a typical cheep generator AVR, & voltages. A common problem is dry solder joints on the switching MOSFET. These AVRs are quite cheep on Ebay.REG.1.JPG REG.8.JPG REG.9.JPG GMC_HOMELITE  AVR.jpg GEN KINGCROME BRUSH volt-cur.jpg REG.10.JPG