Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Fixing broken and unbroken equipment

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
My local hackerspace has equipment that gets treated... roughly.

The first thing I saw was a bench power supply moved away from the electronics bench looking rather forlorn. I knew it had been used to charge some batteries and that someone had turned the voltage up leading to both a very hot power supply and battery. But now it was producing 0V and the current meter was doing odd things.

My first thought was the diode bridge or the poor pass transistors, but they and the internal fuses were all fine.

The penny dropped when I measured the resistance across the output terminals and it was a dead short.

The obvious thing was a dead reverse polarity protection diode, and it turned out to be the case.

The unfortunate news is that it's brother had been disposed of recently having the same fault :-(

The second thing was a capacitance meter. This is a fairly old digital unit capable of reading 1pF to 9999pF, 0.1nf to 999.9nF, and 0.01uF to 99.99uF in three ranges.

The fault as described was "It shows weird and wrong values. They are different for different capacitors, but they're wrong"

OK, this is an old unit. I'd guess it was a 1980 Electronica Australia project -- anyone with EA going back into the dark ages can look it up.

It uses a 74C926 to count clock pulses during the period of oscillation as determined by three switched resistors and the capacitor in question.

The fault turned out to be operator error. The user was trying to read a 220uF capacitor. The count overflows, with the hundreds of uF disappearing out of the carry-out. On the nF and pF ranges the gate is so slow that you don't see the numbers change.

The fix was to take the carry-out, and use a spare inverting schmitt trigger to make a pulse extender and to use this to turn on an otherwise unused decimal point on the display. Along with this, the decimal point is labelled as "over-range". Also some instructions have been attached to the top of the case to tell people how to use it and how to recognize that their capacitor is too large.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Oh, and I failed to mention, I used my HP428B clip on milliameter when "repairing" the capacitance meter.

It's really cool to be able to clip on the probe to read small DC currents in the range 1mA to 30mA (in this case). The only problem is that I have wait until the valves warm up before it works!

What piece of modern equipment would I have used in its place?

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
About capacitance meters:

I found those 100uF(or 200uF) DMM testers to be useless for the "big boys caps".
In power supplys of various equipment (computer boards,LCD displays,audio gear etc.) the caps range in the 1000uF and higher...
The largest I have seen is 10,000 uF in an Audio PA linear PS.
I can recommend adding a 20mF (20,000 uF) capacitance meter for any one testing caps.
They are very cheap today about 10$US (china source...) and do a good job.
They don't measure ESR though,that could be another equipment to buy.

like this one

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...lip.TRS0&_nkw=6013+Capacitance+-clip&_sacat=0

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I use a Sencore Z-Meter.
Sencore makes good stuff and they have good tutorials for applicatons.