Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Need help fixing broken wires

Nature

Feb 14, 2015
I am trying to fix headphones and I am not sure how to reconnect them,
cable2_zps04963d7d.jpg

My question is can i just connect them as they are and solder the ends together, or do I have to uncoil each (colored) individual wire and connect the smaller wires together, the ones that make up the colored wire, like in this picture below

Also, what is isolating the wires so that the electricity from the red one does not flow trough the green one? Im not sure what that is called.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Attachments

• cable1.JPG
    cable1.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 133
  • cable2.JPG
    cable2.JPG
    363.8 KB · Views: 187

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Those wires usually have an enamel insulating layer... so soldering will not take quick as easily as normal wire.
You can solder it back together just fine, but you may need to 'burn' off some of the enamel, I do this by melting a small ball of solder and keeping the end of the wire submerged until the solder begins to stick. Keep in mind that the solder wont be insulated! So use electrical tape or better yet, heatshrink tubing to isolate each of the wires.
And no... you do not have to separate each and every strand from the wire and solder independently. Of course, unless you really really want to ;)

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I recommend cutting outer insulation jacket back about 5 inches or so on both cables, so you can stagger the slices. Therefore they won't all be bunched together.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Those wires usually have an enamel insulating layer... so soldering will not take quick as easily as normal wire.

and not just that, they are also nylon cored and when the nylon melts, the individual strands are going to splay out all over the place.
Soldering this style of wire is an absolute nitemare

Dave

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Could also gently scrape the varnish layer off with a knife.

Another avenue would be to replace the cable and resolder it inside.

Nature

Feb 14, 2015
Could also gently scrape the varnish layer off with a knife.

Another avenue would be to replace the cable and resolder it inside.
Thats not a feasible option for me, where the cable meets the electronics is pretty complicated, and I dont have another cable like this one.

Also when taking the varnish off, is it on each individual strand of a colored wire or is it on the whole colored wire, so would i need to un wrap it to get it off, also will a lighter work? I heard of people using fire as a method.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
each individual strand .... Tha fios agaibh's way isn't really practical

as said it would be a nightmare ..... I usually end up just replacing the headphones

D

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
I've done it in the past, but yes, you need a lot of patience.
If these are high end headphones, I would order the right cable.