Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Embedded C++ Project

microcontroller60

Oct 1, 2019
Dear All

I know here are so many experience person who have been worked on the real time project or still working on it.

I am very interested to know about your experience on embedded c++ Project. Can someone share their real time experience

Which micro-controller/processor / board you were using in your project ?

Which IDE you were using in your project ?

Thanks in advance

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
If i understand correctly you are asking advice on which MCU to choose for some project ?

If you ask me Arduino it the way to go with C++ projects. Large variety of platforms that use different MCU's to suit your needs, they have excellent library's and forum. They support numerous sensors-LCD's etc, and last but not least all the above are widely available on the internet and even at local stores.

microcontroller60

Oct 1, 2019
If i understand correctly you are asking advice on which MCU to choose for some project ?

If you ask me Arduino it the way to go with C++ projects. Large variety of platforms that use different MCU's to suit your needs, they have excellent library's and forum. They support numerous sensors-LCD's etc, and last but not least all the above are widely available on the internet and even at local stores.
@HellasTechn Thanks for your advice

Have you done any project on embedded c++, if yes then what was aim of your project. why did you use C ++?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
what was aim of your project. why did you use C ++?
Is this some sort of assignment where you have to reason why and what for C++ can/should or cannot/should not be used in embedded projects? Then start by offering us your own reasoning, your own ideas so we can discuss them. This forum is not meant to solve such tasks for students.

microcontroller60

Oct 1, 2019
Is this some sort of assignment where you have to reason why and what for C++ can/should or cannot/should not be used in embedded projects?
This is not a college assignment.

Then start by offering us your own reasoning, your own ideas so we can discuss them. This forum is not meant to solve such tasks for students.
I am a student and I never worked for any company. I don't have any idea I was interested to know some real work on Embedded C++ project.

It would be helpful for me if someone share their project experience. In simple what should be customer requirement for the project so that you think you should use C++ not C language

Last edited:

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
Well i have to admit that you express your questions in a very unusual manner.

In simple what should be customer requirement for the project so that you think you should use C++ not C language

As for this question there is no right or wrong answer. Criteria for language choosing in my opinion are your own knowledge in each language and the abilities each one offers (pros, cons etc.). In other words you just use your logic to make a choice. If you can build a project in C++ then its fine, if you can make it perform just as good in C then you use C. Its totally up to you. There are more than one programming languages that can do the same thing.
Ofcource you must always take into account your objectives and project requirements. You need to practice Algorithmic thinking. For instance "i want to build a car, how big i want it to be, how fast i want it to be, how much fuel i want it to use, If i build a large engine it will be fast but it will use more fuel. etc...

Assuming i am the customer and i ask you to make an automatic pet feeder. As long as i get a product that will feed my dog the way i want it to, i will not care if the product uses a Pic microcontroller or an atmel or if it uses C code or C++ code etc.
As long as you get the job done correctly and safely.

Do you get the point ?

Last edited:

microcontroller60

Oct 1, 2019
Criteria for language choosing in my opinion are your own knowledge in each language and the abilities each one offers (pros, cons etc.). In other words you just use your logic to make a choice. If you can build a project in C++ then its fine, if you can make it perform just as good in C then you use C. Its totally up to you. There are more than one programming languages that can do the same thing.
@HellasTechn You are absolutely correct. I appreciate your advice and guidance. I understand selection of hardware and software tools depends on the requirement of project.
Most of the programming logic that would be running on a micro-controller is C

Assuming i am the customer and i ask you to make an automatic pet feeder.
Do you get the point ?
if you want a simple automatic pet feeder. then I would go with with C only but if You need GUI based automatic pet feeder then I would go with C++

if I am not wrong This reason justify that C++ does , C can not do

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
I think you already knew the answer.

C++ is superior compared to C but that does not mean that C is not useful !
Generally speaking whatever you can do in C you can also do in C++ but that does not go the other way around.