Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Easy Machine To Wind Transformer

Javier

Mar 25, 2012
hi Guys, God bless you.. I would like to build an easy machine to wind power supply transformers! I build audio amplifiers but as known the transformers are the critical electric parts and sometimes they can not be found as required in any circuit. For this reason, I want to build a machine to wind, I don't want it be so complicate but single and useful. I don't know a lot about motors or gears but I know you can show me any idea to help me.. later, I will add a turn-counter to it. thanks for your answers before hands.. regards. javier

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Welcome to EP!
Unless you are going to make lots of transformers a motor-driven winder is unnecessary. I've successfully wound coils simply by mounting the coil bobbin in the chuck of a hand-drill clamped in a vice, the supply spool of wire being allowed to unwind freely and a slight tension being applied by hand to the wire.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Good advice from Alec because many modern hand drills employ both variable speed and slip clutch too! Having reverse can be handy too.

Chris

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Ah, one of those hand crank jobies. I have a bunch of them dating back to the 18th century. Some Braces too! Even an old Pump Drill passed down from Dad.

Chris

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Ah, one of those hand crank jobies. I have a bunch of them dating back to the 18th century.

I once did a stint in a motor winding shop in my youth where we used hand crank versions with a suitable bobbin for holding the correct size of coil.
M.

Javier

Mar 25, 2012
hi alec, cdrive and minder, thanks for your answer and help.. chuck is in spanish Mandril, the part that holds and tighten the "Broca" that drills.. There are some english words I can not understand; my dictionary does not help me a lot :) .. Guys, can you upload any image or photo of the hand drill?? the transformers are those built with E type core..

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
For an E core, you typically first wind the coil on a former then slide this on to the core

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
A hand winder is very easy to build and fit a mechanical digital rev counter on it, usually transformers consist of E I laminations that are inserted once the bobbin winding is complete.
M.

Javier

Mar 25, 2012
thanks for helping me.. I wind the transformers by hand but I get tired quickly ; Yes, I use a plastic bobbin (I think it is the correct word) to wind the wire on it and once the coil is finished then I mount the E I.. I have seen some electricians using machine based on motor controlled by "foot-switch" and mechanical counters that look like those used in the old Cassette players..

Javier

Mar 25, 2012
I am gonna see the image that Alec uploaded; I want to thank all of you because of your great help.. thank you

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Javier, there's always China's Ebay where you can shop for gear motors, PWM speed control modules, foot pedals and counters...cheap! You could also convert an inexpensive Varispeed hand drill to be operated with a foot switch or speed control pot. They make a good starting point because the Jacob's chuck simplifies holding the bobbin spindle.

Chris

Javier

Mar 25, 2012
HI CHRIS; thank you; I know there are many options to make what I want; you have given me a good option: China Ebay. also I will analize The varispeed hand drill option you told me; I will look for images..

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Javier, prior to retirement I spent most of my 45 year electronics career self employed. I had my ups and downs which happily ended with retirement on a very profitable up slope. During my struggling years I had more time than profits needed to purchase equipment and instruments I needed or simply had to have. Consequently I built most of what I couldn't afford to buy off the shelf. If that's where you are then it makes sense to brew your own but if you have more business than you can keep up with it makes more sense to buy one off the shelf.

I searched "Transformer Winding Machine" on Ebay and found a boatload of them. Some as inexpensive as $120.00 with free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro..._nkw=transformer+winding+machine&_sacat=92074

Chris

Javier

Mar 25, 2012
Chris, I thank you very much because of your great help..here, in my country, specially in this zone of it, we have to be "creative men" to face any challenge that seems to be difficult to solve but with creativity and help of God, everything is possible. thanks for your search; I am gonna see the device in the link you posted..excuse me for thanking you a lot but I get happy when someone likes helping other ones.

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Javier, you're very welcome.

I navigated to Youtube because many times you can find good DIY vids there. Here's a coil winder that uses an electric hand drill motor and microcontroller. It features programmable winding count that slows the motor as it approaches the final turns.
There are many more vids up there too. Try these search terms:

DYI Coil Winder
DIY Transformer Winder.

Even if non of the vids fits your needs they're sure to stimulate your imagination.

In retrospect this could be a fun project that employs basic wood, metal and plastic shop skills, along with some nifty electro-mechanics. It really is a perfect uC project!

BTW, we have a member (Miguel) in Cuba. If you think you have to make do with what you can scavenge and cannibalize you should read some of his posts. He's still working with Soviet era Germanium Transistors!

Chris

Javier

Mar 25, 2012
Chris, Thank you... I am gonna watch all the videos you posted here; I tried to wind some transformers long time ago but I stopped doing it because it took long time to me building them and I got tired quickly.. the transformer is the most expensive part of the power amplifiers and the electricians who build transformers in my city make abuse of the customers' money.. Chris, I thank Jesus for men like you... you have helped me a lot like the other guys who have helped me too.. God bless you

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Javier, if you decide to build one post your progress in this thread. It's a project that can be relatively simple or (as seen in some of those vids) complex and sophisticated.

Thank you for the blessings.
Chris

Javier

Mar 25, 2012
Hi Chris, last night I went to a Internet shop and I began to navigate and watched many vids such as that you uploaded showing a wonderful winder machine. I watched other vids on YouTube following the terms you wrote below the uploaded vid. There are ones very single but others so complicated but these last ones are the best :) ... I would like to buy one but I have so many debts to pay but Christ Jesus provides it. Chris, Thank you and God bless you