Connect with us

Dossimeter + charging unit

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by darren adcock, Nov 15, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. darren adcock

darren adcock

Sep 26, 2016
    Hi all.

I picked up a Dossimeter + charging unit for a few pounds off a stall. The Dossimieter is quartz fibre pen type. The charging unit is Mk2 (Z8/6665-99-911-0390) issued by Uk war office in 1958.

Question 1.

This was used to measure radiation, should I even be tampering with it? Veeeery unlikely as it was UK made.

Question 2.

If I can tamper with it does anybody think I can modify it to make sound? I make mechanical sound machines. No worries if not I'm sure there is going to be some lovely salvage in there.

Thank you

http://i.imgur.com/nZYC1TR.jpg[​IMG]

2. Gramps

Gramps

Dec 26, 2012
    Very nice find Darren!
    There's no danger of radiation here. Pop her open and get us some photos!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  3. darren adcock

darren adcock

Sep 26, 2016
    Hi Gramps, thanks your reply. Was an absolute pain in the arse to open up. However much i take things apart for salvage I seem to always forget that it can be a biiiiig job in itself. Photos. No markings on the generator (guess that is what it is) The black box says, resistor capacitor unit. Rectifier above it. In the middle is a large mechanical switch. To the right is charging socket, no idea what is inside there. The Dossimeters are supposed to be put in there to charge and discharge.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Gramps

Gramps

Dec 26, 2012
    My dose meter charger uses a 1-1/2 volt "D" cell, but yours has a crank generator, very cool .
    The little generator simply is stepped up to several hundred volts and puts a charge on the dose meter.
    When radiation strikes the meter it discharges slowly and that's where you get your reading. The more charge that gets knocked off the higher the radiation dose.

darren adcock likes this.
  5. darren adcock

darren adcock

Sep 26, 2016
    OOOO that's interesting, I'm awaiting a component to repair my meter and can't wait to test it's voltage when cranked.

how is it stepped up? by the caps and rectifier?

Ask a Question