Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DIY bluetooth speaker

Jbraughton22

Sep 6, 2018
HELP.... I'll be honest, when it comes to electronics I lack much knowledge. I would consider myself handy, but lacking in the idea of how electronic circuitry works. With that being said here's what I need.

I am wanting to build a bluetooth speaker out of an old ammo can. I saw one a guy built at the lake and decided I could do it. I'm using two 6" speakers and a small marine receiver with bluetooth capabilities. My problem is I am not sure what kind of battery I would need to power this. I want one big enough to last, and able to charge with a simple micro usb port, but small enough to fit inside the ammo can without taking up much space I also need to know what connectors I need to be able to make this happen. I'm looking for someone to steer me in the right direction. Maybe I'm in over my head but any feedback would help.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The battery depends on the power consumption and how long you want it to run for.

So:

1. Can you measure the total power consumption when in 'normal use'? Or at least give us details the modules (Bluetooth and amplifier(s)) being used?

2. Tell us how long you want it to run for?

Robert_fay

Jun 15, 2017
If you are looking to keep this waterproof for the lake you could also look at using a exciter. You could mount this inside the ammo box and get sound outside. Not sure how it would sound with the ammo box but they are fun to play with. Go to the 2 min mark in the video it shows him using it.

Jbraughton22

Sep 6, 2018
I attached the reciever and speakers I plan on using. Not sure what amplifier to go with since I am uh unsure of what battery to use. I'd like to get the most out of the speakers but still be able run for 5+ hours on a single charge. I can put it together, I just don't know what I need to be honest.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180906-162559_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180906-162559_Chrome.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 17

VenomBallistics

Aug 30, 2018
lets see ... a marine receiver dictates that your 5V USB charging solution is pretty much out.
Easiest battery solution for you is an SLA which you can charge with any common car battery charger and fairly easily piggyback an external power source if needed.

If it were my show, I'd opt for LiPoly as these are more compact, but only enter into consideration because I am already invested in the specialized charging equipment needed to work with them.
This decision probably depends upon how much you intend to use the creation after you spawn it