Maker Pro
Maker Pro

dirt devil 7.2 volts hand held vacuum

Johnny Cat

Nov 17, 2014
I lost the transformer to my hand held vacuum and want to charge it up. I looked through my usual box of misc. electronics but cant find a 7.2 volt rated output to charge the vacuum. I have 5, 9. 10 and 12 volt transformers but no 7.2.

So I went to the store to see if the transformer is indeed rated at 7.2 volts and to my surprise it said output: 7 - 25V. does this mean I could use a 9 volt rated transformer and the built in circuitry will fix the voltage to a usable state for the vacuum to charge properly?

I don't want to plug it in blow things up. This is the first time I've ever seen a wall transformer having a variable output voltage.

I've always seen inputs saying : 110 - 220V but that makes sense because you may need to use the charger in different countries.

PLEASE HELP!!

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You need to know more about the 7.2V adapter. I suggest that it is current limited in some manner.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
... So I went to the store to see if the transformer is indeed rated at 7.2 volts and to my surprise it said output: 7 - 25V. does this mean I could use a 9 volt rated transformer and the built in circuitry will fix the voltage to a usable state for the vacuum to charge properly?

So you found the transformer at a store? Why didn't you just purchase it as a replacement for the one you lost?

Johnny Cat

Nov 17, 2014
So you found the transformer at a store? Why didn't you just purchase it as a replacement for the one you lost?

OK i should have been a little more clear, I looked to see what the transformer was rated at in the store since they were selling the same vacuum i had. I didn't want to buy another vacuum just to get the transformer. That's when I realized what seems to be a variable output transformer. so back to my original question will using a 9 volt transformer work ok for the vacuum?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
OK, it *may* be limited to 150mA. However you're going to know that before we can suggest a replacement. Using a normal (constant voltage) plugpack may cause smoke to come out of something.

Johnny Cat

Nov 17, 2014
Ok I think my point maybe missed. But I don't want to buy another transformer in fact the cost of a new vacuum is only 15 bucks so picking up a transformer with shipping costing more than 15 is kinda dumb. I'm gonna go with my gut and say that a 9v transformer should work since the vacuum will seem to have circuitry to adjust the voltage going to it .

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Does the vacuum have circuitry to adjust the voltage going to it?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Here is some more info for you:

The original adaptor may not have been a simple adaptor, but could have included the charge circuitry. 7.2V sounds like a common voltage for RC car battery packs XD... and the cars themselves do not store the charging circuitry.

If the vacuum can be easily opened, verify there is more than just a couple wires connected to the internal battery pack... if this is all there is you can cause some damage. If there is additional circuitry inside, then it may do as you assume...

Remember that damaging you vacuum may cause more problems than just nuking the vacuum. Make sure you aren't trying it around an open can of gasoline ;)