Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Did I get shocked by my TV power supply?

Dasitmane

Feb 26, 2016
I was replacing a power supply on a 50 inch LCD tv and had nitrile gloves on and accidentally bumped a cap and transistor and felt a strange feeling in my abdomen, but no shock like symptoms that you would typically expect, it was very quite and slightly stinging, but not in my arms or anything just a spot in my abdomen. Is there a chance that you can get shocked but not have the classical feeling of getting shocked, in say maybe higher frequencies?

I uploaded exactly what I bumped. The nitrile gloves that I was wearing were just throw aways. i didn't think anything of it at the time but afterwords ive been having a lot of anxiety and just feel strange all together..

The tv and power supply was unplugged at the time, but I had powered it up minutes before to check its function before removal.

Attachments

• 0000967_sanyo-dp50749-02-lsep1279wm-power-supply.jpeg
    0000967_sanyo-dp50749-02-lsep1279wm-power-supply.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The tv and power supply was unplugged at the time, but I had powered it up minutes before to check its function before removal.
It's not unusual to get a shock from high voltage equipment shortly after disconnecting it from mains as charge is stored on capacitors and is dissipated only slowly. A so called 'bleeder' resistor is used to discharge the capacitors, however the discharge current is very small so it doesn't disturb the normal operation of the circuit, therefore it can take quite some time until full discharge.
This effect has nothing to do with high frequencies.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
elt a strange feeling in my abdomen,
This time of year, I would expect you to be wearing a shirt while working so there is a good chance your stomach was insulated. That being said, not likely related. Have you been under a lot of stress lately? It could very well be medical related like mentioned before, anxiety.

Maxwell

Oct 1, 2016
I've heard of people being sick after an electric jolt. Symptoms are akin to a stomach bug like sickness, feeling weak, vomiting, cramps.

If you're unsure, just see a GP.

alfa88

Dec 1, 2010
I wouldn't trust latex or nitrile gloves for electrical work. I've observed that the touchpad on my laptop will still respond while wearing them. Probably a capacitive property but sweat and oils can only add to the mix.