Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Decorative wiring: enamelled copper?

seanspotatobusiness

Sep 11, 2012
I'm making an LED candelabra and the wiring has to be visible because it's running along the outside of the candelabra. Is it a totally mad idea to use polyester enamelled copper for the wiring? I think it's the least aesthetically unpleasant option. Are there different thicknesses of enamel available? The wires will be carrying ~10 V and 350 mA for three and 1050 mA for one.

(click to enlarge)

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I'm making an LED candelabra and the wiring has to be visible because it's running along the outside of the candelabra. Is it a totally mad idea to use polyester enamelled copper for the wiring? I think it's the least aesthetically unpleasant option. Are there different thicknesses of enamel available? The wires will be carrying ~10 V and 350 mA for three and 1050 mA for one.

(click to enlarge)
Please use grommets or something else to prevent the wire insulation from scrapping off on the holes...
You can always use more than one conductor to increase current capacity. Look at the wire gauges and ensure it can support what you want to put through it.

seanspotatobusiness

Sep 11, 2012
Please use grommets or something else to prevent the wire insulation from scrapping off on the holes...
You can always use more than one conductor to increase current capacity. Look at the wire gauges and ensure it can support what you want to put through it.

I'm intent on glueing the wires to the surface of the candelabra once I confirm that there are no short circuits. I may have to strategize a way to protect the wire whilst its pulled into place before removing the protection and glueing the wires down. Grommets probably aren't suitable due to the the thickness of some of the parts plus I'm not sure that they would conform to an acceptable aesthetic but yeah, it's definitely an issue.

Last edited: