Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DAC

blaqradio

Aug 18, 2016
Well I am trying to build a power source smart meter at low budget for different power sources(PV ,Grid tie and generator), this smart meter should switch between those sources from the feeding side and also switch controls the receiving part ,whether the power shud be used to feed or not appliances like pool pump,geyser etc

So since Raspberry Pi doesnt have analog port i will need a two converters from Power sources (ADC) and another one (DAC) to switch between normal uses to emergency use wen I have less power from the sources.

I've already decided to use ADC (MCP 3008) from the Sources to determine which Source to use and know how to implement it.So my question is which micro chip(DAC) can I use to convert the response from Raspberry Pi to control the switches that will monitor whether the power should be used for luxury(pool pump,geyser) state or emergency state and how can i implement the circuit associated with it

NorthGuy

Mar 24, 2016
DAC is what you would use to play audio. To switch power, you need relays. If you also want to control the amount of power, you can use FETs for DC or triacs for AC, but this is more complicated than using relays. To drive a relay, you need a simple transistor (BJT or FET).