Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Custom Matrix Switch

Casper1131

Mar 25, 2014
I want eight inputs and eight outputs, say the inputs and the outputs are labeled 0-7. Here is where it is different each input is connected to 7 outputs if the input is 0 it will be connected to outputs 1-7. Also each input can only connect to one outputs and visa versa.
I want two systems one for usb and the other for hdmi.
The question is are there any ready made boards that will help me in this endeavor,any help is appreciated.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
What are these inputs and outputs connected to? It is important to know because the choice of switching element will depend on this.

Here is where it is different each input is connected to 7 outputs if the input is 0 it will be connected to outputs 1-7.

I don't understand what the statement above means.

I want two systems one for usb and the other for hdmi.

On first reading I thought you wanted to control this via USB. Are you wanting to switch USB (and HDMI)?

Casper1131

Mar 25, 2014
What are these inputs and outputs connected to? It is important to know because the choice of switching element will depend on this.

I don't understand what the statement above means.

On first reading I thought you wanted to control this via USB. Are you wanting to switch USB (and HDMI)?

This means for one system the inputs and outputs are usb and the other is hdmi

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I am still unclear as to what you want.

Perhaps you can try to describe what you are trying to achieve, not the way you think you can achieve it.

Casper1131

Mar 25, 2014
I am still unclear as to what you want.

Perhaps you can try to describe what you are trying to achieve, not the way you think you can achieve it.

Here is the thing I have eight rooms right and i want to connect all the displays in each room,now each room can be a host or a hub. So if i am in room 1 and room 2 want to share his screen through hdmi then room 2 will act as a host and room 1 the hub, the reverse must also be true.
This why i am using eight inputs and eight outputs, say the inputs are labeled 0-7 and the outputs are labeled 0-7. Room 1 will be connected to input 0 and output 0. Input 0 will be connected to every other output but zero, this is what i was thinking.
I want something power.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
As you explain it, it's not possible.

For example you would have output 5 somehow connected to inputs 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8. That's not going to work.

You might be able to connect the outputs to a single input, but not all of them.

Essentially, for USB (and I suspect the same for HDMI) you would have an 8 port hub (splitter for HDMI) with the 8 outputs connected to your 8 outputs, and its input switchable between the 8 inputs.

For USB, 8 ports is not hard, even if you need 2 hubs to do it.

For HDMI, I've seen 2 port splitters, but you'd need 7 of them, and I have no idea if they can be cascaded.

USB would require a 4 pole 8 way switch, which I guess is at least conceivably obtainable. I have no idea of how many conductors need switching for HDMI.

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
As far as I am aware HDMI requires a handshake when setting up the connection, which is why HDMI switches are relatively expensive. To connect one input to multiple outputs would confuse the handshake.

You don't make any sense:
each input is connected to 7 outputs

and then
Also each input can only connect to one outputs and visa versa.

Now go away and think it through and then ask the question by fully describing what you want to do without contradictions.

Casper1131

Mar 25, 2014
As far as I am aware HDMI requires a handshake when setting up the connection, which is why HDMI switches are relatively expensive. To connect one input to multiple outputs would confuse the handshake.

You don't make any sense:

and then

Now go away and think it through and then ask the question by fully describing what you want to do without contradictions.
Sorry about the confusion It was a rough idea, so i didnt put much thought into it, i wanted to allow each input to connect to any seven output, but once an input is connected to an output this pair will be unassailable to the others. I get the general idea though so thanks a million.