Connect with us

Current limiting value

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by StephenByrom, May 10, 2016.

1. StephenByrom

StephenByrom

May 10, 2016
    Hi,
    I am recently retired and want to take up basic hobby electronics, so I have bought a bench-top power supply unit for testing and prototyping. The supply unit I bought (http://www.maplin.ie/p/100w-slim-bench-power-supply-n93cx), is a budget one until I gain a lot more experience.
    I presently have extremely limited experience but hey,... you're never too old to learn.
    My question is this;
    Most of my projects will be driven in the real world with a 12V power supply, so that setting is pretty simple, but what should I set the "Current Limiting Value" at?
    I can appreciate that this probably depends on the project, but is there a "rule of thumb" formula that I could calculate myself? Or is it dependent on the LED's or other components used?

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi Stephen
    welcome to EP :)

yes, that is your answer
    but remember a 200mA drawing project will still only draw 200mA regardless of if it is powered from a PSU capable of 200mA, 1A or 10A

since your PSU has got current limiting, just set it for a little higher than what the circuit requires to operate correctly

Dave

chopnhack and hevans1944 like this.
  3. dorke

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
    For the first time you connect a newly-build project .
    I would set the current limit at zero,
    then gradually make it higher till it gets a bit above what is required by the project (like Dave suggested).
    It may save you smoke,fireworks and devices....;)

chopnhack likes this.
  4. StephenByrom

StephenByrom

May 10, 2016
    Thanks for the input people.
    I shall do as you suggest and start low, working up

Ask a Question