Maker Pro
Maker Pro

"Control" signal between Technics FM Tuner and Amplifier ??

infra_rabbit

Sep 18, 2011
I have picked up a Technics LW/MW/FM Stereo Tuner, model ST-X999L that someone dumped with his other HiFi equipment.

The unit appears to be in perfect working order but I cannot get to give an output to my amp, I suspect it is because it needs some control signal from the amplifier. This control link plugs into a 3 pin socket next to the Tuner's line output, and the other side plugs into the Amplifier.

Does someone know how I can make the tuner work without the amplifier control link, by simulating the right condition on the control pins?

I have been able to get a free download of a Technics amp with a circuit diagram (SU-X999). This shows the 3-wire cable between the tuner "Control" and amp. One pin is tied to +B supply of the amp. The other pin goes to the base of a transistor on the amp, and then from the transistor's collector goes with the 3rd pin to a microcontroller on the amp.
I do not know what happens on the tuner side.

http://www.download-service-manuals.com/manual.php?file=Technics-1627.pdf

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi mate
welcome to the forums :)

ok had a look through that.... have you been able to find a service manual or even just a schematic for the tuner unit ?
it would be interesting to see where those control lines went to in the tuner

cheers
Dave

infra_rabbit

Sep 18, 2011
I have found a Technics SU-X955 amplifier and connected the tuner to it,
it works fine without any control cable between them.

The reason why it did not work with the original amp was that there was no antenna connected to the tuner, and therefore no output, not even hiss. The tuner is dead silent without antenna. I mistakenly thought it had a ferrite-rod antenna for MW and would at least be able to pick up something, albeit noise if I tuned it to the right frequency.

I still do not know what the control cable actually does.
I have not been able to find a free manual yet.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Technics tuner

Hi ive owned a technics tuner and amp, very much the same as your first PDF file link, phono leads connects up same as any other separates, with no fm / am antenna your probably just get white noise, the control lead is almost certainly a dedicated link to the amp for remote and control panel use, some technics units have one mains input, normally to the amp, then power can be taken off from sockets at the back of the amp for the other unit components.
Dave. :)