Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Component testing

efiste2

Jul 30, 2013
I have a very old radio receiver/amplifier unit and I want to test some of the components. I especially need to test the electrolytic capacitors in the amplifier circuit.......
What do I need to achieve this. and will I need to desolder one leg of the component to get the correct result.. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
yes you will need to unsolder one end of the capacitor and you will need a capacitance meter

cheers
Dave

techiesteve

Jul 27, 2013
A very useful tool for checking electrolytics is an ESR meter. Previously I bought a Capacitor Wizard, then the Bob Parker kit, sadly no longer available, from Dick Smith Electronics. Both eventually terminally died through heavy use. More recently I built the one described in this thread http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54367
I built it on veroboard in a small diecast box, it works very well.

olivecooper

Aug 8, 2013
Hey Steve thanks for sharing the link and i would too like to have that for testing few components of my own. Does this one stands under heavy load from some of the components to be tested.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
There is no real load as such from the components being tested.

The device can be damaged if the capacitor is charged. The schematic shows a pair of back to back diodes which will help protect the device if you do accidentally connect a charged capacitor to it.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
In the 'old days', large electrolytic caps had the dates of manufacture stamped on them.
My guess would be, that they're shot, if the set is as old as you say.
I'd replace the large electrolytics anyway, and go from there.