Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Component orientation.

warpig

Aug 27, 2011
Hello All

I am updating some components in my speaker crossovers. I will be replacing the inductors, capacitors and the resistors.

The inductors are foil and my question is does it matter which way they are installed? One side goes upstream or downstream?

The resistors are of different types wirewound and carbon. Same question up or downstream?

Caps are polypropylene. Same question up or downstream?

Thanks
greg

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Why replace the components if they are working?

The signal to your speakers is AC, the current goes one way then the other so at some time what is 'upsteam' becomes' downsteam thus the components can be connected either way round.

The components should have the same specifications e.g inductors should have the same inductance, saturation capability and resistance. The wirewound resistors may utilise the turns as inductances also.

davelectronic

Dec 13, 2010
Speaker cross over

Hi there, i agree with Duke, no need to replace components, unless sound deterioration is accruing, even then it might not be the speaker cross over network, to answer your question, as long as the components are not polarized, IE + or - then they can go in either way round, capacitors are polarized, but i expect the polypropylene capacitor in your speakers are not polarized, but check to be on the safe side. Dave. :)

warpig

Aug 27, 2011
Thanks for the replies.

Reason for replacement is that the speakers are 35 years old. My understanding is that caps deteriorate over a period of time along with certian type of resistors. Also the original equipment may not be that great in quality.

I did one set of speakers and they do sound better.

Also I put caps and resistors in and I either got lucky or it did not matter which way they went.:D

Again Thanks

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Hmmm. I would think the drivers themselves would be more likely to deteriorate over 35 years than the electronic components. If they are paper cones, I am surprised that would not have come apart by now.

Bob