Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Common Base output characteristic

meliomelenios

Sep 29, 2011
Hello people!

I am reading some transistor theory, and curently i am reading about the common base connection. I have seen that we need to calculate some metrics to get the Ic (which equals -approx- to Ie) and Vcb values of the polarization, so that we can draw the load line on the Ic -> Vbc characteristic. This characteristic is something like this:

http://ecelab.com/vcb-ic-curves.htm

Funny thing is that, no matter how many transistor datasheets i have open (and i have open A LOT), i could not find not a single one datasheets which has this characteristic. I mean, i have seen the output characteristic for Common Emitter connection, but there is nothing for the Common Base....

What is wrong here?????? Where can i find these characteristics for a transistor?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Transistor theory was a life-time ago.
What I remember is, common-base connection is a configuration of two transistors
with the bases connected. It's not a specification of any one transistor.
Are you sure you have your terminology/question right?

meliomelenios

Sep 29, 2011
Common Base is one of the 3 types of connecting a transistor amplifier. there is also common emitter and common collector.
Specifically, for the common base, there is a typical characteristic (like the one i sent you before) which i cannot find in any datasheet... That is totally strange

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
shrtrnd; the common base connection uses the emitter as the signal input, and is characterised by a low input impedance, high gain, and high output impedance.
I believe common-base connections were predominantly used for HF/RF amplifiers so if you look at the BFxxx (or other rf) transistor series you might find something.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Learned (or re-learned, I don't remember), something new today.

Digital_Angel_316

Oct 1, 2011
Transistor-configurations.gif
Transistor-Configuration-Comparison-Chart.gif