Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Change from battery to power

pwta

Dec 6, 2013
I have 5 Led plastic balls that change colour and I want to change them from battery to a power adaptor. Each one takes 3 x AA batteries (1.5v each). I would like to link them together and run them from one power pack. They would be linked together on the wire with each ball about 1.5 meters from the next one. I need to find out what power adaptor I would need. Volts and amps wise. I have a 5 Volt 2 Amp power pack, Not sure if it is suitable Need more info, Just ask.

Thanks

Last edited:

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
Can you provide a picture of the battery compartment?
Or take some measurements on the battery compartment?
Specifically the batteries will be lined up side by side with plastic (most likely) dividers between them. Can you take a resistance measument from the dividers that are next to each other?

Measure like this:
```_____```_____
```|```````|``|```````|
``V``````V`V`````V
bump | spring | bump

spring | bump | spring
``^```````^``^```````^
``|_____| |_____|

Ignore the ` they are for adding spaces

if the orientation is different than that just let us know, but that is most likely how its set up

Last edited:

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
You can use a 5V supply with a silicon rectifier diode in series for it's voltage drop; a 1N4007 or similar would work. Those color changing LEDs (RGB LED with driver circuit) usually want ~4V and can be damaged by 5V so the diode drop will put you at 4.3V - 4.4V.

Be sure your voltage regulation is good before connecting the LEDs. Each will draw between 20 and 65mA (varies during operation as color and intensity change) so the power supply will see a load that ranges from approximately 100mA to 330mA. You can test regulation by using 4 or 5 100Ω resistors in parallel as a dummy load.

Last edited: