Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Change a microwave dial into a keypad?

Nathan323

Aug 10, 2015
Hi all, I'm new to electronics, am a 2nd year apprentice electrician. Have a microwave that has a dial for input that is too sensitive and therefore it is time-consuming to select options accurately. Found this http://hackaday.com/2011/06/09/repairing-a-broken-microwave-keypad/, and this http://www.instructables.com/id/Replacing-a-membrane-keypad-with-microswitches/?ALLSTEPS, wondered how a dial works compared to this, would I be able replace the dial with a keypad?
I am more than ready to learn how to do something like this every step of the way properly and safely.
I'm not interested in buying a new microwave, and I don't care if the cost of the tools/parts are more than a new microwave, I am in this for the challenge.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Welcome to EP, Nathan!
The dial is just a rotary mechanical time-switch (Google should be able to find you some examples).
This isn't what you want to hear, but I would caution against messing with a microwave oven. It produces enough microwave energy to KILL you, or cause a fire if the control circuit fails. You should also consider whether your household insurance would cover you/your property if the modification resulted in a fire/accident.
I'd suggest you cut your electronics teeth on a safer project.

Nathan323

Aug 10, 2015
Hi, thanks for reply.
I'm going to give this a go, if its actually possible. I am well aware of the dangers of electricity, as I am a 2nd year apprentice electrician. I will not be rushing into this, I will be slowly and methodically learning how to do it properly and safely.

The dial isn't a rotary mechanical time-switch, it is a dial for input - when you turn it, the digital display shows increments of time increasing or decreasing. You then push the dial like a button, and it starts the microwave on the selected time. It is too sensitive and therefore it is time-consuming to select time accurately, then when pushing the dial to start, the dial often moves slightly first, changing the preferred time. I am wondering how the dial interacts with the matrix (as shown in the 2 links), as opposed to the keypad.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Ah, that sort of dial :). Probably just a shaft encoder which the system micro reads. So your keypad scanner would have to emulate the encoder output.

Nathan323

Aug 10, 2015
Ok thanks for info mate, I'm going to look into this over next couple weeks :)