Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Cd Laser not lighting up

Haelind

Jun 27, 2019
Venturer Stereo 3 disk changer -Model CD 2312

The disk lifts into place, but sadly the cd does not spin and the laser does not turn on. I have replaced it with a brand new laser pickup unit with the same results. This is not a carousal with a drawer. It has a half lid. No noticeable plastic pin broken off of the lid that would push a button down telling the cd player to function, unless there is one in the hinge area of the lid.

The laser does move into place along it's rail.
No spin, no read = boo.

Any insight would be appreciated, Thank you kindly,
Haelind

P.S. picture included for visual reference.

laser-light.jpg

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi Haelind,
When you say a brand new laser pickup, do you mean the complete assembly or the pickup lens?
Does the CD player spindle motor work?

Martin

Haelind

Jun 27, 2019
Hi Martin, Thank you for the reply.

The whole unit. The whole unit in the picture is the brand new one. The only part of that working, is the laser sliding into place on the rail. The CD player spindle is not spinning and the laser is not lighting up/trying to read. Doesn't matter if the old or new unit are connected they both only move the laser on the rail into place and nothing more.

Haelind

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
On that assembly, the CD spindle should have a motor? Is it a Mabuchi or similar?. Around 5 or 6 volts?
Can you check that the voltage is present at the connector?

Martin

Haelind

Jun 27, 2019
@davenn -I assumed it was not lighting up since the spindle was not spinning. Testing it with a cell phone camera proved it is lighting up. I just stuck my finger over the the flash for the pic and you see just a little purple. With no flash it lights up very bright.

Martin,
Both new and old are Mabuchi D/V 5.9 CD spindle motors. They both are only getting about 1.5 - 1.7 volts
Thank you both for the insight,
Haelind

IR-Laser.jpg

Haelind

Jun 27, 2019
Any help with some direction as to why this spindle is only getting 1.5-1.7 volts instead of the 5.9 would be much appreciated as I know very little about these things.

Thank you kindly,
Haelind

Haelind

Jun 27, 2019
Hello,
Seeing as though there have not been any suggestions put forth, I have attempted to diagnose the issue myself.
Posting my answer to my question.
The issue was the "CD Driver Chip". Apparently if the CD gets stuck and the motor stops spinning, it can cause high current in the CD Driver Chip and therefore burn out part of the chip while other parts of the chip continue working. Replacing this chip gave the spindle motor the necessary 5.9 - 6.0 volts it needed. Issue Resolved

Thank you kindly to those who took the time to reply with sound advice.
Haelind
P.S. Bad Chip Below

cd-driver-chip.jpg