Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Car audio multi CD unit problem...

Graphite

Jan 24, 2012
I think this is a mechanical rather than an electronic problem - but maybe someone here has experience of this...

My unit is in a Subaru Legacy 2004 a Japanese import to the UK - it has a 6 CD changer, minidisc player, radio and climate controls integrated. It is made by Kenwood for Subaru - GX 201JE.

I was doing some work inside the car and had the headunit out. It waas still connected when I came back out to the car needing topick up my son from school - unfortunately it was on the seat upside down. When I put the key in the ignition there were sounds of CDs shuffling. When I put the unit back in position it came up with an 'Error 99' on the display after more noise and shuffling...

Taking the casing apart there seemed to be a disk at a jaunty angle...

IMAG1138_zpscc80eed2.jpg

IMAG1133_zps17f5a606.jpg

I took the top off to remove the disk to see if this helped...

IMAG1135_zps65467301.jpg

There are metal discs that are positioned between each of the CDs to seperate and move them up and down the spindle - very tricky to try and get them back on - but it doesn't work with just removing them.

IMAG1137_zps6f4a5e72.jpg

The unit is very compact to hold 6 discs... As far as I can see now the spindle that is in the main part of the unit looks as though it should meet up with a corresponding part that projects from the lid part - but they don't meet.

Is it most likely that something is actually broken? or maybe stuck? Or am I just not assembling it correctly?

Thanks if anyone has any ideas... :D

Gallaj

Jul 11, 2016
Hi I saw your article on trying to reassemble CD player. Did you find out how to do it. I have identical problem. Thanks.

Graphite

Jan 24, 2012
No sorry - it is a gonner. I bought the Subaru AV conversion unit and installed a double DIN sat NAV unit...

IMAG1876_zps833eff6f.jpg