Connect with us

Car audio multi CD unit problem...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Graphite, Nov 29, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Graphite

Graphite

Jan 24, 2012
    I think this is a mechanical rather than an electronic problem - but maybe someone here has experience of this...

My unit is in a Subaru Legacy 2004 a Japanese import to the UK - it has a 6 CD changer, minidisc player, radio and climate controls integrated. It is made by Kenwood for Subaru - GX 201JE.

I was doing some work inside the car and had the headunit out. It waas still connected when I came back out to the car needing topick up my son from school - unfortunately it was on the seat upside down. When I put the key in the ignition there were sounds of CDs shuffling. When I put the unit back in position it came up with an 'Error 99' on the display after more noise and shuffling...

Taking the casing apart there seemed to be a disk at a jaunty angle...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took the top off to remove the disk to see if this helped...

[​IMG]

There are metal discs that are positioned between each of the CDs to seperate and move them up and down the spindle - very tricky to try and get them back on - but it doesn't work with just removing them.

[​IMG]

The unit is very compact to hold 6 discs... As far as I can see now the spindle that is in the main part of the unit looks as though it should meet up with a corresponding part that projects from the lid part - but they don't meet.

Is it most likely that something is actually broken? or maybe stuck? Or am I just not assembling it correctly?

Thanks if anyone has any ideas... :D

2. Gallaj

Gallaj

Jul 11, 2016
    Hi I saw your article on trying to reassemble CD player. Did you find out how to do it. I have identical problem. Thanks.

3. Graphite

Graphite

Jan 24, 2012
    No sorry - it is a gonner. I bought the Subaru AV conversion unit and installed a double DIN sat NAV unit...

[​IMG]

Ask a Question