Connect with us

Capacitor?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by RonD, Jun 30, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. RonD

RonD

Jun 30, 2017
    I have little experience with electronics. Now that that's out of the way, here is my question with a little background:
    I was recently removing potting epoxy from a speed log transducer that failed. During removal of the material with a dremel tool, I inadvertently cut into a disc capacitor. Once all of the potting was removed the capacitor was unidentifiable, except that I managed to recover the apparently ceramic disc. I could see where the electrodes were attached and with my dmm set on capacitance, I took a reading at the points where the electrodes were originally connected. The reading was .36nf.
    The disc is 5mm dia.
    The question: Is it reasonable to presume that the reading value is correct as the disc was intact just the outer covering was destroyed?
    The fault in the log was a burned junction at the positive terminal at the pcb. This had no proximity to the capacitor.
    The log transducer: Input voltage - 12vdc, 4 wires(2 supply voltage and 2 output channels, 1 speed by hall effect sensor, 1 temperature method unknown).
    Any wisdom appreciated.
    Ron

2. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Can you take a picture of the damaged capacitor and post it for us to see?
    Thanks
    Adam

3. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    There's a good chance a cap that size would have a value the same as or close to what you measured. 330pF, 360pF and 390pF are standard values.

4. RonD

RonD

Jun 30, 2017
    P1040596mod.jpg

5. RonD

RonD

Jun 30, 2017
    Adam: I think I posted a photo of the cap and board for your reference.

6. RonD

RonD

Jun 30, 2017
    Alec_t: Thank you for your input.
    Ron

7. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Oh my... you didn't just cut into it, you cut it in half lol :) I don't think you are going to be able to tell what capacitor that is from the damage that has been done.
    Adam

davenn likes this.
Ask a Question