Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Capacitor Glue

Tesla

May 10, 2010
I had the break lose some radial hole-through electrolytic caps. to read their values and/or to replace. They were bent over and glued to the board horizontaly.

It was pretty tough but slightly rubbery. I'm thinking it was a tinted epoxy.

Do I need to mix up some epoxy, or do you guys just use standard household 100% silicone? ... or maybe something else?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I had the break lose some radial hole-through electrolytic caps. to read their values and/or to replace. They were bent over and glued to the board horizontaly.
It was pretty tough but slightly rubbery. I'm thinking it was a tinted epoxy.
Do I need to mix up some epoxy, or do you guys just use standard household 100% silicone? ... or maybe something else?

Hey Tesla,

if the area that the capacitor is in is relatively warm I will use silicon sealer but thats rare
most of the time I use hot melt glue :) one of those wonderful fix everything materials ;)

cheers
Dave

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
Be aware that not all silicone sealants are compatible with electronics. If I remember correctly, the ones with a strong acetic acid smell are a no-no, because it will cause corrosion.

ken

Tesla

May 10, 2010
Hey Tesla,

if the area that the capacitor is in is relatively warm I will use silicon sealer but thats rare
most of the time I use hot melt glue :) one of those wonderful fix everything materials ;)

cheers
Dave

Ya, I tried hot glue before I posted. As soon as the caps (or the board in general) warms up the least little bit, the hot glue releases.

Tesla

May 10, 2010
Be aware that not all silicone sealants are compatible with electronics. If I remember correctly, the ones with a strong acetic acid smell are a no-no, because it will cause corrosion.

ken

Any silicone sealant that is 100% silicone (bathroom or red RTV sealant for gaskets) that I have ... has the strong smell. These are the ones that clean-up with alcohol.

I also have some door/window sealant, but if you read closely you see it's only "siliconized" acrylic caulking. It doesn't smell as bad, and cleans-up with water. Is this the one you think would be better?

Yes, I didn't want to "glue" them back down with the wrong adhesive and cause another problem ... quite counter-productive.

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
I don't know. In the past I've always used silicon RTV made to be compatible with electronics. The acrylic might work OK. You might email the manufacturer and ask them.

Ken

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
We use RTV and it works great.
There are many different formulations of "RTV". Some are compatible with electronics (non-corrosive), some are not. What manufacturer/product are you using.

ken

Tesla

May 10, 2010
Yes, some links would be great. I don't mind buying the right product.

Reminds me of using "the right tool for the right job".

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
Sorry to have been vague.

The exact stuff we use is made by DOW CORNING
it is 3145 RTV (MIL-A-46146)

See clip of specs.

Attachments

• RTV.JPG
    RTV.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 445

Tesla

May 10, 2010
Thanks Nick. And thanks KMoffett for bring it to my attention that not all silicone is safe for use on electronics.

Here is the DC 3145
http://www.ellsworth.com/display/productdetail.html?productid=229

I have used other GC Electronics chemicals before with good results
http://www.altex.com/GC-Electronic-Grade-Silicone-Sealant-Adhesive-3oz-19-155-P141838.aspx

An example of what NOT to use. At first it appears to be suitable, but notice it specifically says NOT to use on electronics.
http://www.altex.com/MG-Chemicals-RTV-Silicone-Clear-28-oz-RTV-108-P143191.aspx

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
I loved reading the description for the third one.
...Not for use in delicate electrical and electronic applications in which corrosion of copper, brass, or other sensitive metals is undesirable...

Can anyone think of an adhesive application in which corrosion of sensitive metals is desirable?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I loved reading the description for the third one.
Can anyone think of an adhesive application in which corrosion of sensitive metals is desirable?

hahhaaha ummmmm only if I was wanting to etch said metal ;)

cheers
Dave

PS...
I realised later, I should have qualified my earlier statement about the use of appropriate silicon sealers .... spur of the moment writing of a reply I neglected to do so :(