Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can you please tell me how am i supposed to replace these fuses ? They are mounted on the pcb surface and i don't have a hot air station.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
#1 you don't need a hot air station. You can use a soldering iron, easier when using two irons, one for each side of the fuse - at least for de-soldering.
#2 before replacing the fuse find the fault that caused the fuse to blow. Otherwise the new fuse will most likely blow immediately at turn-on.
Obviously the varistor next to the fuse is blown, too. At least.

Last edited:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
A conventional soldering iron would achieve the same result - I'd use clippers to remove the major parts of the fuse itself to give better access to the copper pads for soldering.

Can't say I agree with the cheapskate fuse installation method...

Have you checked for the reason why the component 'popped'? Could be other faults further in the circuitry.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
#1 you don't need a hot air station. You can use a soldering iron, easier when using two irons, one for each side of the fuse - at least for de-soldering.
#2 before replacing the fuse find the fault that caused the fuse to blow. Otherwise the new fuse will most likely blow immediately at turn-on.
Hey there, Speedy Gonzales!

Amadose7

May 17, 2023
Obviously the varistor next to the fuse is blown, too. At least.
Thank you for your reply. I was thinking maybe it was a temporary surge of current due to an overvoltage. I will try what you explain and intend to replace the varistor as well

Amadose7

May 17, 2023
A conventional soldering iron would achieve the same result - I'd use clippers to remove the major parts of the fuse itself to give better access to the copper pads for soldering.

Can't say I agree with the cheapskate fuse installation method...

Have you checked for the reason why the component 'popped'? Could be other faults further in the circuitry.
I have done a visual inspection but haven't found anything so far, no burning traces, nothing. I'd like to think that there was some surge of current because of a temporary voltage spike...but i Can be wrong.

Amadose7

May 17, 2023
Replacing fuses on a PCB surface without a hot air station can be tricky. It is possible but would require a few extra steps. You will need to be careful when using a soldering iron to remove the fuse as you could damage the board or cause a short. It would be best to use a desoldering braid to remove any solder from the fuse before attempting to remove it. Once the fuse is out, you can then use a soldering iron to attach the new fuse. Make sure you use the correct wattage when soldering. I hope this helps!
Thank you, I appreciate your kind contribution. I'm taking notes and i will try to apply all the advice toi have all given me so far.
Thank you very much

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Did you try using the crystal ball :p
If you have a junk board or electronics that do not work any longer I would practice on that even if it's through hole with the soldering iron I would apply more solder then use solder wick it will wet a lot faster and suck it up (one side) the other side add solder until wet & it will pop right off. If it's variable temperature soldering iron I turn mine up to light speed ...all the way up & (literally) all it takes is one second when touching the solder pad. But this is of course technique . Hence the practice board. I say this with confidence only because I burned off all the nerve endings on my fingers. Now I can play the guitar.
Be careful!!

photo_1684362670130.png