Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can I use My Panasonic Plasma TV as Computer Monitor

jomonjohn

May 17, 2011
Recently I bought 42" Panasonic Viera Plasma TV Model No (TH-P42X20P) , I would like to know, could I use this TV as a computer monitor? It has a VGA out for computer connectivity, HDMI also standard Audio Video Connectivity. Usually I watch downloaded Movies in Computer, My desktop computer has HDMI out., so I wish to connect my desktop using HDMI cable to my Plasma TV. I read a lot regarding the Plasma TV Burn In problem, is it advisable to watch movies in my Plasma TV through computer? What about resolution settings? Whatwould the advantages and disadvantages be? Thanks

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Recently I bought 42" Panasonic Viera Plasma TV Model No (TH-P42X20P) , I would like to know, could I use this TV as a computer monitor? It has a VGA out for computer connectivity, HDMI also standard Audio Video Connectivity. Usually I watch downloaded Movies in Computer, My desktop computer has HDMI out., so I wish to connect my desktop using HDMI cable to my Plasma TV. I read a lot regarding the Plasma TV Burn In problem, is it advisable to watch movies in my Plasma TV through computer? What about resolution settings? Whatwould the advantages and disadvantages be? Thanks

well its got the conections, so you shouldnt have a problem.
watching movies from the computer isnt going to be any different to watching them from a TV channel. Yuou may have to play with the resolution and refresh rate settings on the TV to get the best looking pic.
Its a pity that you bought a plasma rather than an LCD or other technology. The major disadvantage with the plasmas is they are so horrifically power hungry. if you are going to be using it for long periods of time, expect a bigger electricty bill :)
we use our plasma very sparingly cuz of that reason.

cheers
Dave

jomonjohn

May 17, 2011
well its got the conections, so you shouldnt have a problem.
watching movies from the computer isnt going to be any different to watching them from a TV channel. Yuou may have to play with the resolution and refresh rate settings on the TV to get the best looking pic.
Its a pity that you bought a plasma rather than an LCD or other technology. The major disadvantage with the plasmas is they are so horrifically power hungry. if you are going to be using it for long periods of time, expect a bigger electricty bill :)
we use our plasma very sparingly cuz of that reason.

cheers
Dave

Dear Dave..,
Thank you for your valuable reply, Actually I am presently living in Saudi Arabia, here power is not big deal, Actually I was concern about the picture quality, that I feel better than LCD technology..

nbw

May 8, 2011
You will also want to sit a fair way back, so you get a relatively clear picture. Like Dave says, worth having a play around. I see your computer has HDMI so it sounds like it has a reasonable video card - I used to have an average card hooked up to a 37" LCD TV - and it came out looking, surprise surprise, pretty average...

Last edited by a moderator:

jomonjohn

May 17, 2011
You will also want to sit a fair way back, so you get a relatively clear picture. Like Dave says, worth having a play around. I see your computer has HDMI so it sounds like it has a reasonable video card - I used to have an average card hooked up to a 37" LCD TV - and it came out looking, surprise surprise, pretty average...

You are right, Actually my desktop has a 1GB VGA on board HDMI, I watch movie , looks very fine, even my HDMI cable is fair long to give me average distance,.. But I try to watch the same movie with my Laptop, same HDMI out, but gives less picture quality, may be onboard memory is less.. any way thanks for you comment....