Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Can anyone identify this SM diode?

miriad

Sep 6, 2011
Hi can anyone identify this surface mont diode. Its blown and trying to replace it?
Thanks

Attachments

• DSCF2370a.jpg
    DSCF2370a.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 433

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi Miriad
welcome to the forums :)

its not the only thing that has blown.... the circuit track going to it has totally fused as well
the diode is probably the least of your problems, I dont recognise the diode type from the numbers on it.
Tell us a bit more about the circuit, what it does etc. take another pic showing more of the circuitry around that area

cheers
Dave

miriad

Sep 6, 2011
More circuit

Hi Dave,
Its a mazda 6 ECU only need to repair it to start the car to take to scrap so not long term functionality is required.
Yes the track is fried and the pin on the connector also, but thats ok as i can repair them ok. Checked all the power related components in line of this circuit and all seem ok, just need to replace the diode to see if it gets the car started.
I've attached a larger area photo.
Cheers Dave.

Attachments

• DSCF2370.jpg
    DSCF2370.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 287

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi Dave,
Its a mazda 6 ECU only need to repair it to start the car to take to scrap so not long term functionality is required.
Yes the track is fried and the pin on the connector also, but thats ok as i can repair them ok. Checked all the power related components in line of this circuit and all seem ok, just need to replace the diode to see if it gets the car started.
I've attached a larger area photo.
Cheers Dave.

ok no probs.... in that case without specific info available on the diode, its prob safee to assume that its a relatively standard silicon diode similar to a 1N4001 etc
you could look for a surface mount version of a 4001 maybe on an old cct brd... gosh gace dozens of them here so shouldnt be hard for you to find. they are often in a glass package. It would definately be worth a try.

edit.... Do you know for sure that the diode has fried ? or are you just assuming that cuz of the fused cct track ? have you put a multimeter across it in Ohms range and measured resistance one way then the other ?

Dave.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
And (at the very least) he will also have to replace the track with a jumper wire.

And then hope that the diode and track were the cause of, not the result of, the failure.

Last edited:

miriad

Sep 6, 2011
Ye metered across diode and reading short circuit in both directions. Removed from board and checked component out of the circuit and reads the same. checked another diode of the same markings and reads out in the normal way.
Cheers Dave i'll pop a 1N4001 in and see what the damage is??
Great work thanks!!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Ye metered across diode and reading short circuit in both directions. Removed from board and checked component out of the circuit and reads the same. checked another diode of the same markings and reads out in the normal way.
Cheers Dave i'll pop a 1N4001 in and see what the damage is??
Great work thanks!!

you could probably use a standard leaded 4001 and wire it straight from that pin connection across to the appropriate diode pad, therefore bypassing the cooked section of track.
And I echo Steve's comments about wether they were the cause of the problem.
Chances are there was a hi current fault elsewhere and that track and diode were the weakest link and its why they failed.

see how ya go and report back :)

cheers
Dave