Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Bose WaveRadio AWRC-1G Problem

Hiduke73

Jan 12, 2011
I have a Bose WaveRadio AWRC-1G that I'm trying to fix for a friend but I'm at a stand still. First off, nothing works when plugged in. But... after disassembly I noticed the transformer got warm while plugged in. Also, it looks like either a burn mark or maybe some type of grease that has collected dust over time (see attached pic).
Let me say that I don't know too much about working on circuit boards or troubleshooting them but I have some general knowledge. I do know how to solder and if I knew what to do, I'm sure I could fix it. After doing some research online I'm a bit confused as how I should move forward. I've read a lot about the Q4 transistor. Could someone tell me where on the board it is and what it looks like? I've read maybe the transformer has gone bad. etc...
One last thing if anyone could help with is how to disassemble the cd player lid so I can clean the button pad.

Thanks, Tim

PS Would anyone happen to know where to get a repair manual for this model?

Attachments

• BWR1.jpg
    BWR1.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 4,253
  • BWR2.jpg
    BWR2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 2,523
Last edited:

ibdilbert

Apr 15, 2012
Hate to bring up an old thread, but I have this very same radio, AWRC-1G. I can't seem to find much about this thing other than some complaints about it just not powering up one day, and thats exactly what mine is doing. Nothing looks burnt on the mainboard, no blown caps or traces and the plate holes all look good.

Anybody have any experience with this model, what should I check first?

PJG

Oct 10, 2016
Talk about bringing up an old thread....I joined this forum because of this thread. I just "fixed" my AWRC-1G. I put fixed in quotes, as I didn't really fix anything....or did I?

@Hiduke73, I found your photos from a google search after I put the unit back together, and I had the same exact "staining" in the same exact area of the motherboard as your photo. I used an electronics wipe and swab to clean it up, and it removed the majority of it, leaving only minor and barely visible "stain" behind on the board. When I re-assembled the unit, it was working again before. Now, with your photo, I'm wondering if I should be concerned.

A little background:
My unit stopped working on Jan 9th 2016. I remember the day because I had just moved, and that was one of the first things I set up so I could listen to the radio as I unpacked. I just assumed that the move jarred something loose, or that I didn't pack it tight enough. I was heartbroken because I had to unpack in silence, and that was really depressing for some reason. Anyway, I digress. Maybe that info is relevant. Today, I finally got around and opened it up (Yes, I did have other music sources, but they took a bit longer to set up than the Bose, for those wondering). I found nothing lose, or jarred, I was expecting a dislodged fuse at best, or at worst something like a motherboard cracked, maybe a solder point cracked or something. I found non of that. Just that odd stain and I just assumed the stain was the result of something being spilled on the unit.

I'd like someone with more experience to weigh in and comment on what that was from and if it's a concern. Is it a short that's potentially a fire hazard or just a sign of age?

Last edited by a moderator:

dklann

Mar 21, 2021
The thread that wouldn't die! Here I am in 2021 fiddling with a Bose Wave Radio, model AWRC-1G...

I badly broke this unit while "probing" for +5V to power a Raspberry Pi Zero music player. My goal is to power the Pi from the Bose, and wire the Pi output to the Aux input on the Bose. I seem to have totally bork'd the radio: the display flashes (some segments, not all) and I'm unable to get any sound out of it. I am also interested to hijack the keypad and use it to control the Pi. This is entirely a learning project, so it's no loss if I can't get things working...

I've seen some schematics on line, but none that match perfectly this model. The main board number is 260128-0001, dated 12/06/01. Can someone point me to schematics for this model? Thanks much!