Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Board repair help

Derek_R

Oct 7, 2017
48FDBD96-FF27-4615-9766-77C6FAA1EFB1.jpeg

I’m not sure if this is in the right place and Im new to this stuff. I’m decent at soldering but my problem is I have to fix my control board. My relay burnt up the copper tape under. My question is, Can I just replace the tape? And what are this solder strips all over the tape? They don’t connect with anything. Is it some sort of heat sink?

Derek_R

Oct 7, 2017
It’s my oven control board any help would be greatly appreciated. I just can’t see spending $170 for a new board.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I do not know what the strips are but I would try to repair the broken connections with wire enhancement. I would also replace the relay in case the excess heating was produced by faulty contacts.

Check that the relay load is reasonable.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The strips appear to be solder masked lines over a large plain copper land - to me it's a cheap way to increase the current handling capacity of the copper pad. Had it been a fully soldered pad I doubt it would have disintegrated in the way it did.

Derek_R

Oct 7, 2017
The strips appear to be solder masked lines over a large plain copper land - to me it's a cheap way to increase the current handling capacity of the copper pad. Had it been a fully soldered pad I doubt it would have disintegrated in the way it did.

So what should I do to make it so it doesn’t fail? I assume just putting down new copper tape will probably lead to the same failure again. Do they make different thicknesses of copper tape?

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
I repaired ours just a short while ago, identical symptom.
It is a common problem on oven controls, I replaced the relay just to be safe, couple of $$'s
But to repair the pcct I used dry-wick copper strip used for de-soldering purposes normally.
I have done a few like this in the past, usually effect a repair and your back in business, and if you beef up the copper like a said it will last alot longer.
Desoldering-braid.jpg

M.

Derek_R

Oct 7, 2017
I repaired ours just a short while ago, identical symptom.
It is a common problem on oven controls, I replaced the relay just to be safe, couple of $$'s
But to repair the pcct I used dry-wick copper strip used for de-soldering purposes normally.
I have done a few like this in the past, usually effect a repair and your back in business, and if you beef up the copper like a said it will last alot longer.
Desoldering-braid.jpg

M.

That sounds exactly what I need to do. So how did you go about connecting the braids to the relay? Did you just replace the copper tape and then solder the copper wick to it going around the relay? Or did you solder the relay directly to the copper wick?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
So what should I do to make it so it doesn’t fail? I assume just putting down new copper tape will probably lead to the same failure again. Do they make different thicknesses of copper tape?

you haven't shown a pic of what is/was on the other side of the board at that location

Derek_R

Oct 7, 2017
you haven't shown a pic of what is/was on the other side of the board at that location

I’ve already removed the burnt up relay but you can plainly see where it was and where it burnt at.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 71

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
That appear almost identical to the board I repaired last, the Omron relays are usually easily available.
I made a new bed of copper strip and just brought the relay pins through it to enable a soldered connection.
Generally they only have foil on the one side.
I suspect the relay was ok, but replaced it anyway, especially if the pin has blown off!
M.

Derek_R

Oct 7, 2017
That appear almost identical to the board I repaired last, the Omron relays are usually easily available.
I made a new bed of copper strip and just brought the relay pins through it to enable a soldered connection.
Generally they only have foil on the one side.
I suspect the relay was ok, but replaced it anyway, especially if the pin has blown off!
M.

That is exactly what I will be doing then. Thank you guys so much from the help. I greatly appreciate it.