Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Big storm passed over head today

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Big storm passed over work/home area in Rydalmere, inner west Sydney this afternoon

20141124 Storm Panorama med.jpg

This was a set of 3 images I merged in PS to create a panoramic

cheers
Dave

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Yeah, but was it spinning clockwise, or counter-clockwise.
All we get here are dust-storms rolling in off the desert. They come straight at us.
Nice picture and merging of the three of them.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
It should have been counter-clockwise, shouldn't it? What with the Corriolis effect and so. Not in the US, your dust storms should be spinning clockwise.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
You engineers. That was a technician joke, carried-over from the previous 'digging to China' post here.
davenn gave us a spectacular picture of a storm front moving in, and I pretended to ignore that, and make a joke about which way the winds were blowing.
When a dust storm comes in off the desert, all you see is a wall of dust, preceded by billowing clouds of dust being kicked-up at ground level in front of it.
If there's any particular direction the wind is blowing, I don't know, cause I'm too busy looking for cover before it hits.
I would like to know, davenn, how accurate the colors were compared to the picture. I used to take a lot of photos in the South Pacific in the 70's, but used film.
I could never get the photo to show the actual pink/orange hues right. Is the digital image an accurate reflection of the colors you saw?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I would like to know, davenn, how accurate the colors were compared to the picture. I used to take a lot of photos in the South Pacific in the 70's, but used film.

Its reasonably close to what I observed. I didn't do any colour alterations. Just dropped the exposure a little, my original pic was a little over-exposed out of camera.
The camera didn't pic up the really intense blue/green in the lower section from the left side to the centre ... usual indication of hail

D

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Thanks for the info on the colors. I took a hundred pictures of the sky over there at sunrise and sunset, but could never capture the reds as they actually appeared. I used Kodachrome and Ecktachrorme(?) for slides.
I always wondered what I could have done better to try to save those awesome colors. I figured it was just the limitations of the film. I don't feel so bad, knowing that your digital camera failed to capture the greens.
There was probably nothing I could have done to get the colors right back then.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I have never done colour developing/processing but maybe at that time alterations could have been done

just as a variation, this was another storm a month ago and different camera a Canon 5D Mk3 ( full frame)

141013storm pano1200.jpg

that is really true to visual

the first post pic was taken on a 8 year old Fuji S9500

cheers
Dave

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
That's true. I didn't develop the pictures from the film, I just had them processed by a store.. It's just a big disappointment to me that the pictures I took were'nt the actual colors I saw.
I've probably still got the negatives, but it's getting to the point that nobody does film work anymore.
Too bad the digital cameras were'nt around back then. Photoshop would make them whatever I thought they should be.
You've got some interesting cloud formations there. It's tough even finding a cloud where I am.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
You've got some interesting cloud formations there. It's tough even finding a cloud where I am.

what USA state are you in ?
I have travelled extensively over the western and central USA stormchasing and general touring

only been as far east as Dayton, OH, that was to a big annual hamfest (amateur radio get together)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
For positive film the lab does (did) no correction.

Colour saturation could be improved by a slight underexposure. Otherwise the colour rendition is as good as the film. Of course film isn't subject to colour perception issues.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
It was a (Thanksgiving) holiday weekend here, I took a few extra days-off. I'm in Arizona. I used to live in Michigan and have been to the Dayton Hamfest a couple of times with other hams.
There are hamfests all over, but I've never seen one as big as the Dayton one.
With cell-phones prevelant nowadays, fewer people seem to be interested in Amateur Radio.
Yeah. I know the store film developing departments just do the minimum to print pictures. My pictures just didn't do justice to the actual views I saw.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
My father was stationed in the South Pacific during the Korean War, somewhere near Australia I think. He used to say he wanted to go back and visit Australia, but that dream died with him. Anyway, everywhere he went he took hundreds of 35mm Kodachrome positive slides with his Argus C3 camera. Once in a while he would drag out the projector and we children, my brother and I, would be allowed to view them. I always thought the Kodachrome colors were more intense than "real life" and later found out that is true. When I started my interest in 35mm photography, I initially used Ectachrome which could be developed in the on-base photo shop facility. Ectachrome was "faster" than Kodachrome and the color were not so saturated, but the hues tended toward the blue-green end of the spectrum. That could have been just improper exposure on my part, or failure to use a "daylight" filter when taking pictures indoors, especially with fluorescent illumination.

When digital imaging started to become affordable for personal use, I decided that one day I would digitally scan all my old 35mm slides to get RGB separated images. Then I would be able to manipulate the colors in Photoshop until every thing looked "right". When I got married in 2000 (for the second time), I requested that the wedding photographer (who happened to be an acquaintance from work) record the wedding on medium-format color film and provide me with the negatives. It is my intention to scan these "real soon now" so I can edit and print our wedding pictures.

I won't go into this in any detail here, but it is impossible to reproduce all the colors the human eye can perceive using only three "primary" colors. All the colors that humans can perceive are mapped on a CIE diagram that has a horseshoe shape. The curved outer boundary maps all the pure spectral colors from red to indigo or violet. A straight line joining the red and the violet ends defines a "purple boundary". White, as represented by incandescent black-body radiation, is near the middle of the chart. Because of the shape of the chart, it is impossible to find three "real color" points that encompass all the colors on the chart. Red, green, and blue spectral colors come close. So compromises are always made in reproducing color, whether on film with saturated dyes, or on a monitor screen with phosphors or color filters for LCD. I believe the most faithful rendering occurs with a digital light projector developed by Texas Instruments, but these are mainly used for large-screen theater projection.

All that said, those are some really nice images Dave put up. I wish he had taken time-lapse video showing the storm approaching. I bet that would have been awesome!

Hop