Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Big Mouth Billy Bass

Mikey_Bling

Mar 13, 2013
Hi. Complete noob to electronics here.

I'm currently in the process of trying to modify a Big Mouth Billy Bass singing fish so it will play different songs to the pre loaded ones. I'm aware I need a microcontroller board, a solderless breadboard and other various bits, but i was wondering if anyone had or could point me in the direction of specific items? I've never even seen a microcontroller board let alone know what i'm looking for! I could really do with a detailed step-by-step. The only one i've seen is on e-how and it was rubbish!

I'm on a really tight deadline too as it's for a leaving present for a guy at work on the 22nd of March.

Thanks, Mike.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
never even seen a microcontroller board let alone know what i'm looking for!
I'm on a really tight deadline too as it's for a leaving present for a guy at work on the 22nd of March.
I think this is a bit of a stretch.

Bob

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Timescale. There is a lot to learn to make this project. If you were well-versed in microcontrollers and programming it would not be a stretch.

bob

Mikey_Bling

Mar 13, 2013
The timescale might not be such an issue. The guy who's leaving is someone I'll still see after he's left, it would just have been the ideal scenario obviously. Any guidance you might be able to give however would be great.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
There are videos on the net, and many web sites that give some guidance on how this can be done. I'm not sure that we can do any more than google for them and point you to them.

Perhaps you can do that yourself and come back with any questions on stuff you don't understand.

I presume you're OK with writing code (i.e. have done it before) on a uC to control motors and to play music from an SD card?

Oh, complete newb? You have *at least* a month of solid learning to do, and that's still assuming that you have the parts and are a competent programmer (i.e. you don't have t learn that too), And then you'll be able to start a project like this with plenty of help. (And I'm probably being way too optimistic).