Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Best way to put off Fire from a Mobile Robot

jobitjoseph1

Jul 30, 2021
Long back I built a project using Arduino and flame sensors to fight fire something like this
1712581049306.png

I have also documented it here in the article Arduino Based Fire Fighting Robot. This was like 6 years ago, so please don't judge me with the practicality of the Robot. Here are some more images if anyone it interested.
1712581092714.png
But now I have a requirement to scale this project for a fireworks warehouse. We need to park mobile Robot every 200 feet and the warehouse will have long range IR sensor from Melexis to detect fire should it happen.

I am planning to use a pi to combine the readings from these IR array sensor with the CCTV camera feed to detect the location of this flame. I am working on ways to deploy these robots to the location of the fire

But what comes next I am confused. I will not be able to load enough water into each mobile robots to put out the fire. I need a fire suppressant that is light easy to carry and is safe to store inside a robot. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
1712581114193.png

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I am planning to use a pi to combine the readings from these IR array sensor with the CCTV camera feed to detect the location of this flame.
You're using raspberry pi, Arduino, and a CCTV.
For mission critical applications?
As a proof of concept; consider it a failure.
The technology required to satisfy your build does not exist yet.. you're ahead of your time, good job.

"You must be ready to give up even the most attractive ideas when experiment shows them to be wrong."
-Alexandro Volta

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
As a proof of concept; consider it a failure.
Why?
As a proof of concept the used material is only partly relevant.

I do agree that for the final product the robot as shown is probably not suitable. The construction seems to lack robustness and, being "mission critical", other features may need to be considered like e.g.
  • rugged housing
  • self test
  • supervision of fill level of the extinguishing agent
  • battery supervision and automatic recharging
  • radio alert feature
  • safety power-off button
  • plus anything I don't think of right now

Returning to the original question by @jobitjoseph1 : why not use a commercial mobile fire extinguisher, e.g. the small variant used in cars?
This will at least provide a tested method for extinguishing the fire. Your robot will need to be a bit sturdier to handle the weight of the fire extinguisher plus you will have to devise a way to unlock the protection of the fire extinguisher and operate the nozzle by e.g. a servo.

The comment by @Delta Prime is not without merit, however. There is also the question of liability:
  • What if a fire breaks out and your robot is not able to extinguish it in time?
  • What about requirements by the insurance company with respect to such a robot?
  • What about requirements with respect to regular maintenance
    [etc. etc.]

For a commercial enterprise it is imho better to use a professional certified solution.

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
You could always consider a hybrid power approach, bot seeks closest power
connection, plugs itself in, and that provides power for pumps etc..

How did you determine you can get 200 feet ? Is there sunlight in some areas
of warehouse ?

How will you handle various suppression methods needed based on chemical nature
of burning materials, eg. battery fire versus wood or paper fire versus fuels.......
Possibly use color sensor to gross qualification of the type of fire......

Regards, Dana.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
This is an ideal application for an AI-equipped robot. Make sure it has access to a fire hose and can manipulate the hose, nozzle, and water valve. Carrying a fire extinguisher around is not a practical solution. Try to get some practical experience from your local fire department on how to extinguish fires. Years ago, in the previous century, my employer engaged the Beavercreek Fire Department to come out and show us, with hands-on demonstrations, how to extinguish a burning liquid fire. They used a large extinguisher and the fire was locally contained in shallow metal pan. Bottom line: it's more difficult than you think. If using a portable extinguisher (instead of a continuous supply of water), you only get ONE chance to put the fire out and to make sure it doesn't re-ignite. I wouldn't accept those odds if you gave me a million bux. Back to the drawing board, grasshopper.

I liked @Delta Prime's Volta quotation.