Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Baseball Scoreboard

Brett Foss

May 19, 2017
I am very new to electronics, but I have a quite simple idea. My Price range is open, and I am looking to make a scoreboard for a wiffle ball field I am making. I want to be able to light/ un-light LED Dots for the balls strikes from a wireless controller. The picture below shows what I'm trying to accomplish.

The Ball, Strike and Outs are what I am trying to accomplish.

Please let me know if this is doable. Thanks

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Welcome to EP, Brett.

Oh, by the way, don't forget to upload the picture you promised ;)

Brett Foss

May 19, 2017
I would need the leds to be quite big so you can see them from about 100 feet or so.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The LEDs do not need to be big but they need to be powerful and shine in the direction required.

Brett Foss

May 19, 2017
What would I need to program this so that the LEDs will go up to 3/2 then back down to 0?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
What would I need to program this so that the LEDs will go up to 3/2 then back down to 0?
Well, it's actually more complicated that that, the balls and strikes would have to reset each other, and possibly increment the outs as well. If you did that, you would need fewer channels of remote.

With the 8-channel (7 used) you would simply turn each light on / off with a separate button, no logic need except in the brain of the operator.

To fully implement the logic of balls / strikes / outs a microcontroller would be best. Then you would need only 3 buttons:

1. A ball button would up the balls, and if 4 would reset balls and strikes to zero.
2. A strike button would up the strikes and if 3 would reset the balls and strikes and up the outs.
3. An out button (for any out other than strikeout) would up the outs, reset the balls and strikes and reset the outs if it reached 3. You could also do something cool like flash the ball / strike / out indicators a couple of times when there was a walk / strikeout / side retired. All of this is simple with a microcontroller, not so simple with discrete logic.

Bob