Maker Pro
Maker Pro

backup power for Car audio receiver

rbalasus

Dec 5, 2010
Hello I am searching for an easy solution for my problem. I have a car audio rceiver in my office installed. As powersupply I am using a standardized ATX-PC-Powersupply. All is working as expected. But I want to cut of the power when I not use the radio. Now I have the problem that all station presets and the internal clock are resetted everytime I switch the radio on.

I think the radio has a very small powerconsumption for holding the presets.
So, I only need a backup battery or an accumulator.
Has somebody an idea what should I do? Should I use a lead acid battery which is charging everytime? Or should I use a battery, which is staying active for more than one or two years.
Thanx in Advance.
Regards Randolf Balasus

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Why do you want to turn off your power supply? When the radio itself is not 'on', the standby draw from the power supply, to keep your radio presets, is extremely low.
I'm not familiar with the power supply you're using. Maybe you should look for a different
model, made for people who are doing what you're doing for satellite radio service.
You'd have to do considerable research to add a battery for your radio memory (unless
maybe you contact your radio manufacturer for a possible solution they may have).

rbalasus

Dec 5, 2010
Hello, first of all thanx for your answer.

I agree that a PC power supply in standby mode has a low power consumption. There are millions of computers which are not plugged of in standby and all is o.k.

By design, all electrical consumers in this room are connected to the circuit of the light. This is planned and summary a good solution. I don't want to change something in this installation because all si working as expected.

Now I have to decide what I have to do. Should I use an accu-solution and charge these accus everytime the power is active, or should I use a battery solution with a diode. Of course a pack of eneloop AA batteries which I can recharge if necessary should be o.k. But 12V means at least 8 pieces .
maybe there is a smarter solution.

Regards Randolf Balasus

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Maybe someone else will answer your post with a good solution.
I don't know your set-up. It should take no more than 3 volts to retain the memory in
your car radio, ....but that would be to the memory circuit itself, not the actual 12v power jack to the radio. You'd have to get inside the radio for that.
Hope somebody else comes-up with a good idea.
I'll think this over, and respond later, if I think of a good idea.
Good luck on your situation.

rbalasus

Dec 5, 2010
Good Idea. The car audio receiver has a special input only for preset backup. I will test if it is necceassary to have 12 volts there maybe with 6 Volts are enough, this is easy to test, and to measure the currency is not a problem.
Thanks for you help, now I am prepared for my next investigations.

Regards Randolf Balasus