Maker Pro
Maker Pro

B&K Precision better than Tektronix ? (Oscilloscopes)

Marknickerson

Jun 5, 2015
Hello everyone,

I’m here because I am buying my first oscilloscope and there is something I can’t figure out.

I have 2 oscilloscopes in mind,

One is the B&K PRECISION 2190D and the other is the TEKTRONIX TBS1052B.

Here are the specs:

http://www.newark.com/b-k-precision/2190d/oscilloscope-2-channel-100mhz/dp/79X6542?ost=2190D

http://www.newark.com/tektronix/tbs1052b/oscilloscope-dso-2ch-50mhz-1gsps/dp/33X1207

The B&K Precision looks way better than the Tektronix and for a lower price but I feel like there is a catch.
How could this oscilloscope has a 100 Mhz bandwidth, 40 kpts Display Memory Depth and other amazing specs with such a low price?

I tried to find some reviews on B&K Precision Oscilloscopes but I didn’t find anything alarming.

Please help me to figure this out, I don’t want to mess up on that.

Bye

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Hmmm. If you purchase the B&K from Newark, you have to buy at least ten of them. I have used B&K products and generally was happy with their performance. However they are made in Asia, documentation may suffer in translation to English, they are subject to obsolescence by being replaced with a newer model at any time, and good luck getting them repaired if something goes wrong.

Who knows where the Tektronix is made, but the brand name is solid. A Tektronix 'scope comparable to the 100 MHz bandwidth of the B&K costs over a thousand dollars. You pays your money and you makes your choices.

Have you considered a Pico Scope?

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Personally, I would buy anything but not a Tektronix.
The thing I have done the most with Tektronix is repairing them. Their power supplies stink, designed to fail. Am happy with a very humble Hitachi. Sold all my 3 Tektronix.

Marknickerson

Jun 5, 2015
Thank you for your answer.

So yes there is a catch, B&K is just another cheap brand. I did the error once of buying a cheap soldering station. Good performances but horrible to use, look so fragile, buttons are weak.
I'll go for a Tektronix. At least I'll be safe with that.
Pico Scopes seem nice but I prefere having the oscilloscope in hands. I'll may be invest in one of these in the futur because it saves lot of space.

Marknickerson

Jun 5, 2015
Never heard that about Tektronix. Hitachi doesn"t seem to be very comon in oscilloscope. May be it's more for professionnals ? The thing is, for what I'm going to do with my oscillo, I don't need a super advanced or exepensive one.

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
B&K is just another cheap brand.
B&K is not just another cheap brand, but they do have some cheap options. More important than the technical specifications is the warranty. You are comparing a B&K having a 1-year warranty (other B&K scopes have a much longer warranty) to a Tek with a 5-year warranty. I like the better B&K products, especially their regulated power supplies. But if I were getting a scope for hard service (throw the scope in the back of a van and drive over bad roads to get to the service site under the hot desert sun) then the Tek is the only choice.

Marknickerson

Jun 5, 2015
I see what you mean Laplace. It's not only about specs, it's also about what you are going to using it for. Mine will stay at home but I'll take the Tek for a first one, it's safer.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Yep got a TEK TDS210 DSO at work. Been using it for 15 Years. Only ever needs annual calibration, if they actually do anything that is. :)
Adam