Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Audio Triggered AC light controller

RJM49

Jan 18, 2015
Hello All,

I'm sorry if this post breaks any rules or guidelines as I am brand new to your forums :)

I am very new to electronics to the extent that i've only ever done minor repair with lighting and audio equipment and some soldering.

What I am trying to do is create an audio triggered light controller with a basic 120v AC input and output. Basically the device will turn on a light connected through an edison plug in the presence of audio input via a microphone. Due to my inexperience and the complexity of this project, I opted for a pre-built module, unfortunately it wasn't exactly what I was expecting.

What I have a module that has the microphone and is rated and tested to 120v. The problem, and I know this is probably the most basic thing ever, but when dealing with higher voltage, I am always cautious, is that I am not sure how to configure or add Edison inputs and outputs to it.

Attached are the schematics and a photo of the device (sorry for the quality, my scanner is down)

Again, this might be the easiest thing in the world, but this is a new area for me and I've been shocked and friend more things that I'd care to admit, so I really wanted to some advice before proceeding.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 2015-01-17 18.13.45.jpg
    2015-01-17 18.13.45.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 2015-01-17 18.14.20.jpg
    2015-01-17 18.14.20.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 2015-01-17 18.14.38.jpg
    2015-01-17 18.14.38.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 116

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Hi there and welcome to Electronics Point :)

First, your module needs power. That version has been assembled with R13 made from two 10 kΩ resistors in parallel, giving a combined resistance of 5 kΩ, so it is designed to operate from 120VAC. The Phase side of this 120VAC supply must be connected to the black wire, and the Neutral to the white wire.

This puts most the module circuitry at Neutral potential, so the microphone will ideally be safe to touch, if you use a non-reversible mains plug, but other parts of the board will be at mains potential and I strongly recommend that you mount the whole board in a non-conductive case of some kind with a small hole for the sound to enter through. Any error in the house wiring or an extension lead could cause the microphone to become live, and cause an electrocution and fire hazard if it is exposed or accessible.

The module's output is the orange and blue wires. It behaves like a switch, and closes the circuit between those wires. (It will only switch 120V AC.) So you need to connect the module in series with the lamp. Current will flow from the mains Phase wire, to the orange wire, through triac TR1 on the board (when audio is present), out on the blue wire, to one side of the lamp, and from the other side of the lamp back to mains Neutral. In other words, connect the lamp between mains Phase and Neutral, then break the connection on the Phase side and insert the switch on the board (orange and blue wires) across the break.

The board will be carrying mains voltage and must be securely mounted inside an insulating enclosure of some kind.