Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Assistance Identifying component L2

CatchyUsername

Apr 18, 2024
I'll fully flesh this out for future information seekers. This is a component found on a Nintendo Wii Board number RVL-CPU-40. The component L2 found on the board has 5R6 on it and that's it. I'm only good at research and removing/soldering components so from what I've found, it's a patch power inductor. I want to know if the part in the DigiKey link below would be an accurate replacement based on the number alone or if anyone has any more familiarity with the components in a Wii

Attachments

• 20240418_150438.jpg
    20240418_150438.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 10

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Inductors rarely if ever fail on their own.
If it's cooked as it appears (photo could show this much better) time to start looking else where on the circuit as well.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Without a schematic and a bill of materials.
The only thing you can do is make sure it has the same footprint, physical dimensions.
The topology suggests to me a DC to DC converter which carry DC components onto pulse width modulation waveforms.
The dc current through an inductor biases the core and can cause it to become saturated with magnetic flux.
When that happens.... the inductance drops
& the component no longer functions as an inductor it's just a DC resistance of the wire itself, it becomes a heater as you can tell by your photo.
You need to know the DC resistance ( DCR).
Self resonant frequency (SRF) The frequency
at which the self-capacitance of the coil windings equal or resonate with the inductance.
Current saturation (Isat) the current at which the inductance drops due to core saturation. :)

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
You need to know the DC resistance ( DCR).
I doubt the Op would firstly have the gear to measure that plus it appears burned so again, no deal.
5R6 would suggest 5.6uh.
Details on the mosfets not clear in the photo, either Q9 or Q12 which appears to be the same so one could possibly test there.

A closer look (better photo) of the coke winding might help as would a good sniff to tell if it's been cooked.

CatchyUsername

Apr 18, 2024
I doubt the Op would firstly have the gear to measure that plus it appears burned so again, no deal.
5R6 would suggest 5.6uh.
Details on the mosfets not clear in the photo, either Q9 or Q12 which appears to be the same so one could possibly test there.

A closer look (better photo) of the coke winding might help as would a good sniff to tell if it's been cooked.
I own a multimeter with Ohms, what am I measuring?

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I sometimes rig a current source to force current through a suspected component (removed from the circuit of course) and then measure the voltage drop across it with my multimeter, You can purchase an inexpensive RLC measuring kit from Asia for a few bucks to measure inductance.