Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Adding indicator to remote door opener

Bikonja

May 4, 2012
Hello to all.

First of all I want to note that I'm not an electronics expert, far from it, but I'm a programmer. I recently found Amblone (a DIY Arduino based Ambilight project) and built it and even made myself another app that adds features to the project and detects my video player opening and closing and runs/shuts down the original Amblone program automatically.
So, I have a very basic understanding of electronics, with some soldering experience.

On to my question.
I have a remote gate opener. The remotes for the gate are in my house, my car, my mothers and my fathers car. The system has a light on top of the gate that blinks while the gate is being opened/closed. The remote does not have any such indicator. When coming from one side to my gate, I don't see it until I am almost right in front of it, so I often need to wait on the road while my gate opens, so I thought it would be nice if I had an indicator on my remote (or in my car somewhere) so I can press the button before I can see the gate and know if it cought the impulse and is opening.

Ofcourse, I don't depend on it, but it's a nice-to-have feature and I'm feeling up to tinkering around, I'm sure you know the feeling :)

So, I was thinking it would maybe be possible and easy to add an RF transmitter to the gate opener box, not sure how it works but ideally just hook it up to the light above the gate that already blinks and when the light is on, the transmitter transmits a signal, and then add the receiver to my car, hook it up to an LED and when it's receiving a signal, turn on the LED.

Now, as I said, I don't know that much about electronics in general, let alone this particular component - an RF transmitter (or something better suitable maybe?) and that's why I've come here to ask for opinions and help.

So, would it be possible to just hook it up easy like that, and if not, how would it work?
I was thinking it would probably go something like this:
Hook up an Arduino to the gate opener and have it transmit every let's say 50ms whether the light light above the gate is on or off and then have another Arduino in the car which then turns on the LED when it receives a "Light is on" signal, and turn off the LED when it receives the "Light is off" signal and ofcourse, turns the LED off after say a second of not receiving signals to ensure it doesn't stay on after I go out of range when the last signal was "Light is on".

Does anyone know if this would work, be possible, is there something I haven't thought of, etc.?

Bikonja

May 4, 2012
Good idea, thanks!
Do you know the typical range of those things? My ex had something like that so I know you can buy them here which is great, no need for waiting for it to arrive :)

If I do decide to buy that and hook it up, I'll be sure to come here and ask for help on actually hooking it up to the gate. I don't even know what kind of voltage is on the lamp. Also, I would probably disconnect the speaker and just stick an LED somwhere on my dash probably.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I don't know the range. That should be stated on the datasheet of the particular make you're going to buy.

You may be able to hook the transmitter up to the gate without messing with the gate's electronic. I'm thinking about a purely mechanical solution: posistion the transmitter such that the gate actually pushes the button while moving over it. A small lever might be required to achieve this. This way you have actually an indication that the gate is really moving.

Harald