Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Adding aerial switch & solar charger to Nokia 6230

John F

Apr 17, 2010
Hi, I hope this isn't too trivial a question for an electronics board, but I'm trying to modify my Nokia 6230 phone in two ways, and could do with a bit of help please.

1. I want to add an on-off switch to disconnect the aerial (for the network, I mean), which I don't see as possible in the menus. I partly want to do this to stop worrying about the possible health risks if I have it on me all the time (I never know whether to believe the stuff about radiation from phones), and partly to save battery power when I'm on ultra-light trekking excursions. I don't want to have to switch the phone on and off, because I like to use it for its calendar functions, camera, mp3 player, radio, and voice recorder. I don't get many calls on it, so just want to connect to the network occasionally to check for texts or missed calls.

What I want to know is

a) whether when it's switched off the aerial will not be giving off microwaves or whatever it is that's thought to have health risks associated with it.

b) whether all I have to do is interrupt the central pin (a little sprung telescoping connection post) of the three that connect the aerial to the phone front. I've had the aerial unit out and put a piece of insulation between each connector to test what happens, and only the central one causes the phone to lose signal, but I don't know if that means the aerial is (or aerials are) disconnected, or if it's just that the data line is the middle pin so it's not reporting a signal while the aerial(s) are still working. I know very little about electronics, but I think I remember that aerials in radios don't have two connections, just one. I also remember reading that this phone is set up to work on two different protocols or something, so it just occurred to me that each might be powered by the other two pins. Unfortunately, I can't read the schematics I've found (links when I've got permissions if anyone wants them). It would be easy from there if it's just a case of soldering two connections to the correct (single) pin and its locator on the phone body (well, I say easy, it'll take some doing getting the wire in there and soldered!) with insulation between and running the wires to a switch on the body, a lot less easy if I have to do it with more than one and install a double-pole switch (or whatever that's called).

2. I've taken a solar-powered torch apart because the battery has died, and thought it would be handy to fit the solar panel on the back of the phone connected to the battery connection points (the sprung metal bits that contact the battery connections I mean). I'm not expecting miracles from it, but hoping it might just extend the battery life by trickle charging it when left on a windowsill. Again, I'm puzzled because the battery has three connections and, although the outermost two are marked + and -, I have a feeling that the middle one might be powering a different circuit in the phone, or might even be a separate cell inside the battery.

a) Do you think I can just connect the solar cell across the outer two? The battery is BL-5C 3.7V (adaptor gives 5.7V at 800mA). I've measured 1.4 mA across pins 1 and 3 in the phone when the charger is connected and 0.15 mA across 1 and 2.

b) Why does it have three contacts?

My usual method is just to try things and see what happens, but I thought I'd ask before ripping into it this time. There's not much room for a swtich, but I'm thinking the little "window" above the IR receiver/transmitter is nothing more than a hole to let the speaker volume through and I could fit a little ultra-micro type switch there. The solar panel should go on the back very nicely. People will think, as usual "My word, what a rubbish old phone that guy....hey, wazzat? It's got a solar panel on it!"

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
1. I want to add an on-off switch to disconnect the aerial (for the network, I mean), which I don't see as possible in the menus. I partly want to do this to stop worrying about the possible health risks if I have it on me all the time (I never know whether to believe the stuff about radiation from phones), and partly to save battery power when I'm on ultra-light trekking excursions. I don't want to have to switch the phone on and off, because I like to use it for its calendar functions, camera, mp3 player, radio, and voice recorder. I don't get many calls on it, so just want to connect to the network occasionally to check for texts or missed calls.

If your phone has an "air" mode then that's the thing to use. It turns off the transmitter and the receiver so the phone can only operate as a standalone unit.

I personally believe that the danger from phones crowd are related to the chemtrails groups, but at least they have some (although somewhat tenuous) basis in fact. The major benefit will be in standby time as your phone will not be transmitting periodically at full power trying in vain to contact a tower.

What I want to know is

a) whether when it's switched off the aerial will not be giving off microwaves or whatever it is that's thought to have health risks associated with it.

You can't just switch the antenna (that would be counter productive) and your phone is not emitting microwaves (unless it has wifi capability)

b) whether all I have to do is interrupt the central pin...

No, not that easy I'm afraid.

2. I've taken a solar-powered torch apart because the battery has died, and thought it would be handy to fit the solar panel on the back of the phone connected to the battery connection points (the sprung metal bits that contact the battery connections I mean). I'm not expecting miracles from it, but hoping it might just extend the battery life by trickle charging it when left on a windowsill. Again, I'm puzzled because the battery has three connections and, although the outermost two are marked + and -, I have a feeling that the middle one might be powering a different circuit in the phone, or might even be a separate cell inside the battery.

The connections on the battery are connected to the positive and negative ends of the battery. The third connects to a resistor that changes value with temperature (the other end is connected to one end or the other of the battery). This is used to monitor the battery temperature during charging.

a) Do you think I can just connect the solar cell across the outer two? The battery is BL-5C 3.7V (adaptor gives 5.7V at 800mA). I've measured 1.4 mA across pins 1 and 3 in the phone when the charger is connected and 0.15 mA across 1 and 2.

If your phone has an external charging socket, then I'd connect the solar panel to that, with a zener diode across it to limit the voltage (if necessary). The solar panel should be rated for approximately the voltage required for the charger.

If I was hiking, I'd place the solar panel either in my hat :)D) or in the top of my pack and run a cable to the phone. If you're lucky it may extend your standby time somewhat.

My usual method is just to try things and see what happens, but I thought I'd ask before ripping into it this time. There's not much room for a swtich, but I'm thinking the little "window" above the IR receiver/transmitter is nothing more than a hole to let the speaker volume through and I could fit a little ultra-micro type switch there. The solar panel should go on the back very nicely. People will think, as usual "My word, what a rubbish old phone that guy....hey, wazzat? It's got a solar panel on it!"

Switch on the antenna is not going to help. If the phone has no Air mode then the solar charger will probably not help as the phone will be using quite a bit of power if you're out of range of towers.

If you don't need a hat when you're hiking, you may not get too much power form a solar panel either.

John F

Apr 17, 2010
Right, thanks steve, that was very useful and I'm glad I asked. It looks like I'll have to junk the idea of switching the phone's connection off unless some comes up with a workaround, orI come up with the cash for a new phone. I don't think it does disconnect except when switched off, but I might have missed something in the settings. There's a very promising option to connect manually, but all that does is search for all available networks; it doesn't let you not connect to any. What a stupid oversight in the design, as it would make a very good emergency phone to keep around and use the other very useful features of without running down the battery connecting. I'm surprised there's not a simple solution - if I took the SIM card out it wouldn't be able to connect to the operator, but maybe it would still keep trying (and, like unhooking the aerial, would cause more battery drain as it tries repeatedly). Without solving that bit there's no point in bothering with the other hack I reckon. It's either a new phone or taking a spare battery for longer trips and switching the whole thing off most of the time. And yes, there was always going to be a problem getting it in the sun if the panel was on the back of the phone. UK! Hah, I should probably have a hat with a wind turbine on instead.

55pilot

Feb 23, 2010
It is a demonstrated fact that cell phones can kill their users. Anyone who denies it has their head stuck in their rear ends. They kill you by causing automobile and pedestrian accidents due to talking or texting while driving, biking and even walking.

If you are worried about the health risks posed by cell phones, stop using them while you drive , bike or walk around traffic.

It is also documented that "radiation" from cell phones can have an detrimental effect on your health. It is obvious from basic physics that the emissions themselves are harmless. But worrying about this made up non-existant problems can have real effects on your cardiac health. It is well documented that stress causes heart problems and you are causing yourself stress over a problem that does not exist.

---55p

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
55p, I think his 2 reasons for preventing the phone from transmitting were:

1) extended battery life (to use other phone applications)
2) from an abundance of caution

He does express some scepticism about the dangers.

Other than that, I think we are on the same er... wavelength.. on this one :)

John F

Apr 17, 2010
Thanks, 55pilot. I thought I might get some comments about the dangers or otherwise of mobile phone emissions, and I'm very happy to have your reassurance. It's one of those questions that I've never got round to asking, but has become urban fact or urban myth and I don't really know which it is. I remember being scared of microwave ovens when they came out - everyone was - and standing the other side of the kitchen when it was on. Maybe the earlier ones did leak more than later ones, but it was shown to be almost complete hogwash.

I also agree that worrying is a cause of illness, so again, thanks for your input. I don't drive and use the phone, or cycle and use it - I'm pretty careful if I do happen to be walking with it, and you're right that these are significant causes of accident and death.

So you reckon it's perfectly safe then, and I can hug my mobile (cell) all I want, put it in my top pocket, sleep with it, and there ain't no danger from radiation. Not that I'm that lonely you understand. :D WTF, I'm now getting random opinions from internet discussion forums instead of doing some proper research - how do I know you're not a phone salesperson who wouldn't care if I get cancer and die?:rolleyes:;)

55pilot

Feb 23, 2010
WTF, I'm now getting random opinions from internet discussion forums instead of doing some proper research - how do I know you're not a phone salesperson who wouldn't care if I get cancer and die?:rolleyes:;)
How dare you insult me like that? Comparing me to some low life pushing a cell phone plan for a mere few dollars of commission. I am offended.

I am actually an undertaker as a side business and my only goal is to see you dead from brain cancer so me or one of my buddies can eat for several months off your funeral. Suggesting that I will be satisfied by shaking you down for mere lunch money is just insulting. :D

---55p

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
...so me or one of my buddies can eat for several months off your funeral.

You know, for a minute there I was worried where that was going. :D

55pilot

Feb 23, 2010
You know, for a minute there I was worried where that was going. :D
You are just too simple minded Steve. You need an expansive view! There are just not enough calories in the human body to feed a family for several months. :)

On the other hand, one of our financial channels (CNBC) did a documentary last month about selling body parts. Apparently a chop shop can legally sell all the parts from a body for about $60K. Now that will feed a family filet mignon for several months!

---55p

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
In Australia, that same body shop would collect (at most) several cups of tea and maybe a packet of biscuits and a few sandwiches.

All donations here are altruistic. You get the best "payment" for donating blood -- a cup of tea and biscuits and/or a sandwich.

Donating a kidney or a lobe of your liver will get you a hospital bill.

We had better conclude this before a moderator notices the thread drift and closes the thread!

55pilot

Feb 23, 2010
Since there is some misinformation in the thread drift, I thought I better correct it (note, no smiley here). Here in the USA, just like Australia and most other developed countries, if you donate your body or body parts, all you get are the thanks of the recipient or the society.

Where the money is made is in processing your body after you donate it. The job of taking a body and extracting, processing, packaging and distributing useful parts from it is a for-profit business and there is a lot of profit in it. The companies are allowed to recover their material and labor costs, plus take a profit like any other business venture. The poor stiff (pun intended) does not see any of the money, other than the saving from not having to pay for burial or cremation. Some times the funeral companies will comp the memorial service and other services, but that is a gray area at best under the law.

The body parts that are used are skin for skin grafts for burn patients. Bone pieces for bone grafts for trauma patients. Joints, organs and whole body parts for medical training and medical device development. All of which fetch a very high price from the eventual user. The last point is relevant to the practitioner of electronics who happens to be working on medical devices.

---55p

roltex_rohit123

Oct 12, 2009
well john you must not disconnect the aerial or you wont get calls. this is the main purpose of using cell phone!! if you at all want no RF's then stop using electronic devices. if you want to charge your cell form a solar pannel then you need atleast 12-15 cells in it. this way you would maintain the voltage to 6 volts and about 1 amp current. place a zener diode to keep voltage to charger voltage. connect the solar pannel to the charger socket and not the battery directly. the three terminals are a thermoresistor and + and - ve terminals. the transmitter gives out Microwaves which makes the nuclei of the body chemicals orient themselves in a particular axis. the microwaves dont have power even to break a bond. so they cant harm you. i am a medical biotechnologist and studied much of this. I hope you've got your answers and now just stop those horrible discussions.