Maker Pro
Maker Pro

220V Basic changeover switch

nishandj

Oct 21, 2011
Hello there,

I am thinking of making a basic changeover switch for 220AC. There will be 2 (L - Phase) inputs and one out put line which goes to a 220V-20W CFL Bulb. One input line is coming from the main AC line and other is from some other 220V power base like battery with inverter. When there is power on main line the relay switches it on and if the main line goes down (a power failure) the changeover switch switches on the alternate power source. It will not help to keep the bulb on for 24 hour without any disturbance.

Are there any relay based low cost switches (because I have many lights to switch on)
Or is there a way that diode based switch can be used?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Nishan

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi Nishan
welcome to the forums :)

There are plenty of Solid State Relays (aka Contactors) on the market what have a wide variety of voltages to do the switching and the ratings to switch hi voltage and current

do a google search on Solid State Relays

cheers
Dave

Last edited:

nishandj

Oct 21, 2011
Thanks davenn,

I learnt a lot about Solid State Relays from your answer by googling it. So is it the same things that a Contactor can perform? What is the difference between Contactor and a Solid State Relay. Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Nishan

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Thanks davenn,

I learnt a lot about Solid State Relays from your answer by googling it. So is it the same things that a Contactor can perform? What is the difference between Contactor and a Solid State Relay. Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Nishan

Its just a term, not all contactors are solid state many have physical relay contacts.
Contactors is what you will usually hear electricians refer to

The really big advantage SSR's have is that they have no moving parts and no relay contacts to burn out.
They are available with some pretty serious voltage and current ratings

Dave