Maker Pro
Maker Pro

1st Buck Converter Design Help/Advice

DudeManBro09

Aug 6, 2016
Hey Everyone,

This is my first post to the forum and I'm excited having found this site and all the cool project on here.

I am attempting to design/build a buck converter to drop 24-12V to 3.3V to power a Ti C2000 Launchpad (Link here: http://www.ti.com/tool/launchxl-f28027#descriptionArea

I decided to try and start simple since this is the first time I've ever attempted anything like this, thus I started searching and I found that the TI TPS5403 regulator seems to have everything I need. I especially liked that it had a sample design in the User's Guide found here: http://www.ti.com/product/TPS5403/technicaldocuments With the sample design looking like the attached Picture below: (if you cant see the photo the design is on page 7 of the users guide)

TPS5403.JPG

I really want to use this an an opportunity to learn and increase my depth of knowledge, but I also want to meet my own October self imposed deadline.

MY questions to the community is this: What Simulation software would you recommend to test out this specific converter? And how much testing should I do on this design given that the design comes from TI itself?

Additionally It should be noted that I tried looking for the specific converter in TINA (TI's spice program ) but I was unable to find this exact converter.

Any and All Help is appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!!!
-Carlo

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If you want to start simple then there are plenty of simpler options.

What are your requirements?

Why do you want to simulate it?

What I'd your skill with electronics?

DudeManBro09

Aug 6, 2016
Hey Steve!

Well to start out I Literally just graduated with my EE degree so I have a basic knowledge, however my practical knowledge isn't where I would like it to be hence this design that I chose. I'm pretty decent with my soldering skills and honestly I really feel like college didn't give me as much of the practical knowledge that I am wanting. I am wanting to simulate it to really just kinda poke and prod a bit deeper to ensure that the system is stable and also to ensure that the design is somewhat good.

My requirements are as follows:

Truly I am wanting to power a C2000 launchpad from a 12V-24V source so I really need either a 5V or a 3.3V given that that C2000 may be powered off either or. I am just trying to power the launchpad off of this converter. The Launchpad has internal linear that will bring down the 5V to a 3.3V so really I could do either or. I just saw this 3.3V converter and thought that it would be a good idea to power the 3.3v in case I ever wanted to use only the Launchpad's TMS320F28027 chip itself which uses a 3.3v input to power the IC.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
One of the most important requirements is the current which must be supplied.

Since modeling the circuit is a significant issue, you might try contacting TI to see if they have one for this chip. Alternatively, look for a chip that does have a readily available model.

In general, for a reference design, the capabilities are probably covered in the datasheet or in an application note. You should expect a reference design is stable and without major gotchas.

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
The TI website has all the design tools and layouts. just needs a free registration by email

then see main page. enter Vin, Vout, Iout

Last edited: