Maker Pro
Maker Pro

parallel led array

lightman

Nov 6, 2015
hi fellas this is my first post i am wishing to build an IR Illuminator for ghost hunting i want to make it from 3 5w high power ir led and wire it in a parallel led array so each led gets same power i worked out if i run them of a 3.7 volt battery i would need to add a 2.7 ohm resistor to each led so not to over power the led thing is i am only getting around one and half hours continuous use so what would i need to do to run same set up of two 3.7 battery's any help please fellas ?

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
hi fellas this is my first post i am wishing to build an IR Illuminator for ghost hunting i want to make it from 3 5w high power ir led and wire it in a parallel led array so each led gets same power i worked out if i run them of a 3.7 volt battery i would need to add a 2.7 ohm resistor to each led so not to over power the led thing is i am only getting around one and half hours continuous use so what would i need to do to run same set up of two 3.7 battery's any help please fellas ?
Sounds like you know what you are doing... you scared me when you said parallel LEDs, but you are actually using a resistor on each one. Thanks! That gets missed by a LOT of people.
As far as running with two batteries, simply connect the two batteries in parallel and your light should last twice as long!

*Special Note : When you connect two unbalanced batteries in Parallel, you run the risk of causing current to flow between batteries. Never connect a fully charged battery in parallel with a used battery!
The battery with the higher voltage will actually cause current to flow backwards through the battery with a lower voltage. So either connect them when they are both freshly charged, or when they are dead. You can always use a multi-meter to confirm the voltage is the same prior to connecting them.

lightman

Nov 6, 2015
hi thank you for your help the new battery holder olds two battery's not sure I understand wire the two battery's in parallel do you have a pic sorry for being so dum

lightman

Nov 6, 2015
its ok I see what you mean two single battery holders + soldered + - soldered to - with just a single wire from both battery's + and - is that right ?

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Sounds like you know what you are doing... you scared me when you said parallel LEDs, but you are actually using a resistor on each one. Thanks! That gets missed by a LOT of people.
As far as running with two batteries, simply connect the two batteries in parallel and your light should last twice as long!

*Special Note : When you connect two unbalanced batteries in Parallel, you run the risk of causing current to flow between batteries. Never connect a fully charged battery in parallel with a used battery!
The battery with the higher voltage will actually cause current to flow backwards through the battery with a lower voltage. So either connect them when they are both freshly charged, or when they are dead. You can always use a multi-meter to confirm the voltage is the same prior to connecting them.

A solution for that problem is using Schottky diodes like this:
The diode will drop about 0.3V(typ.),should be fine with a 3.7V bat. and IR led.
BAT-BALANCE.JPG

dorke

Jun 20, 2015

GHOST HUNTING ???
Do post a pic if you catch one...:eek:

Anyways,
as per my post above a good choice would be this diode:
PMEG3050EP
If you have the Battery and LEDs datasheets post them here.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
its ok I see what you mean two single battery holders + soldered + - soldered to - with just a single wire from both battery's + and - is that right ?
Absolutely, but dorke posted a safer solution that wont require you having to balance your batteries before hand

lightman

Nov 6, 2015
GHOST HUNTING ???
Do post a pic if you catch one...:eek:

Anyways,
as per my post above a good choice would be this diode:
PMEG3050EP
If you have the Battery and LEDs datasheets post them here.
hi led data
Emitted Color : Infrared IR 850nm 5w
Viewing Angle: 135 degrees
DC Forward Voltage (VF): 1.4V
DC Forward Current (IF): 1400mA
Maximum Pulse Voltage: 1.7V
Maximum Pulse Current: 2000mA
battery data GTL 18650 3.7v Li-ion Rechargeable Battery 5300mAh

lightman

Nov 6, 2015
would I need a diode on each + wire and what size would I need to get thank you so much for your time and help

lightman

Nov 6, 2015
it will not let me open your diode link can you get them on ebay many thanks

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
would I need a diode on each + wire and what size would I need to get thank you so much for your time and help

yes, you need 2 diodes on each + wire, as shown in the #5
the diode is PMEG3050EP here is it's data sheet:
http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/PMEG3050EP.pdf

So,
you are running your LEDs at about 0.85A each for a total of about 2.5A.

Your battery isn't very promising...
see here(test of a GTL 2600mAh):

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?255943-GTL-18650-Battery-Test-Updated

http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/PMEG3050EP.pdf
And,please watch the following video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbaSAyqhzxc

lightman

Nov 6, 2015
seems that make of battery are not very good were can I buy the diode I need please many thanks for your time and help

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
Basically you cannot drive high power LEDs from a 3.7v battery and include a diode and current-limiting resistor.

You do not have enough head-room - any ghost buster will tell you that.

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Basically you cannot drive high power LEDs from a 3.7v battery and include a diode and current-limiting resistor.

You do not have enough head-room - any ghost buster will tell you that.

Colin,
Where does your bullshit come from...? :mad:
Please,check yourself before you post,