Maker Pro
Maker Pro

DIY Laser Tag

baucat9

Jan 29, 2015
Hi EP. I am trying to make a laser tag system to use at home with some buddies. My original intent was to have the system function like a laser tag center, but that is neither feasible at my skill level or financially. I have decided to simplify it to this. A player has so many lives. Every time they are shot=deduction of 1 life. Once they run out of lives, they are out. I would like to have 4 laser sensors: 1 on each shoulder, 1 on the front, and 1 on the back. The vest does not need to be connected to the gun, allowing the gun to be seperate. I would like a piezo buzzer to go off every time you are hit as well. I want LEDs at the hit points so that in the dark other players can see them. I'd also like these LEDs to blink when a person has less than half of their lives left. Aside from this, I have an optional feature I'd like to add if possible financially and and skill wise:
- the vest goes off for 4 seconds after a person is shot. This doesn't allow people to shoot someone multiple times.

What I am asking for:
I have a fair experience with electronics, so I will be able to follow you somewhat when you are talking to me. I may have some questions though. Parts suggestions and approaches to both making the hit point vest and laser gun are greatly appreciated. I can design basic circuits, so I might need some help. Be patient with me please, I'm young and trying to learn.

Edit: I've have no experience with programming Arduino or similar microchips. I do however understand the functions of preprogrammed chips. If Arduino, etc. is heavily suggested, I am going to need someone to baby me through it sadly.

Thanks for reading,
Shane

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
several things to consider:

you need to modulate the laser. You could use a single modulation, one per team, or even one per weapon.

with a modulated signal you can design a far simpler and sensitive input circuit.

All of the processing can be done on a microcontroller.

also consider that your weapon should stop when you're dead. Unless you want an attack of the zombies :D

baucat9

Jan 29, 2015
several things to consider:

you need to modulate the laser. You could use a single modulation, one per team, or even one per weapon.

with a modulated signal you can design a far simpler and sensitive input circuit.

All of the processing can be done on a microcontroller.

also consider that your weapon should stop when you're dead. Unless you want an attack of the zombies :D
What do you mean by microcontroller? How can you modulate a laser? This is some areas I might need some fair to heavy guidance on. And yea I know about the attack of the zombies thing. I didn't know how easy it would be to do though. If it's easy, I'd love to shut down the gun too when someone is shot.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
A microcontroller is essentially a small computer on a chip that you program to do clever stuff like interpret the readings from sensors, count "hits" and control flashing lights etc.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
oh, and modulation meant (in this context) turning the laser on amd off very quickly (perhaps tens of thousands of times per second) in a pattern which can be recognised.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
http://www.instructables.com/id/Duino-Tagger/
I hate posting to other sites, but this guy did alot of the work, the only thing you have to incorporate is the modulation and team based system.
it includes everything from the micro used through to the wiring diagrams and coding. personally I would make a predator shoulder cannon with eye tracking but.... you know I am a super geek

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
The microcontroller can do everything you want to do. To do it without a microcontroller would take maybe 10 logic chips, so the microcontroller is way simpler than discrete logic to build this. The other advantage is that all the behavior is controlled by a program that can be changed at will with no changes to the actual circuit.

Bob

vince7

Feb 19, 2023
DIY laser tag is a fun project that can be done with some basic electronics knowledge and a few supplies. Here are the steps you can follow to build your own laser tag game:
  1. Design your laser gun: You can design your own laser gun or use an existing toy gun as the base for your project. Make sure that the gun is comfortable to hold and has enough space to house the electronic components.
  2. Choose the laser module: You can use a laser module that emits a visible or an invisible laser beam. Visible lasers are easier to see, but invisible lasers are more challenging and add a level of difficulty to the game.
  3. Add sensors: You will need sensors to detect when the laser beam hits the target. You can use photodiodes or phototransistors for this purpose. You will need to connect the sensors to a microcontroller board like Arduino.
  4. Add sound effects: You can add sound effects to your laser gun to make the game more engaging. You can use a small speaker or a buzzer to play sound effects when the gun is fired or when a target is hit.
  5. Build the target: You can build a simple target using cardboard or foam. Attach the sensors to the target so that they can detect when the laser beam hits it.