Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Custom LED Lightbulb circuit

JoshuaMora

Nov 28, 2023
Hello, Ive been wanting to make LED lighting for my glass lamps.

Havent been able to find any good info. So I will try asking

Tonight out of curiosity I tore apart a LED Lightbulb I had laying around and found out it a very small circuit.

If anyone could help me in understanding how it works, that way if I buy the components I can make my own instead of breaking lightbulbs haha.

Basically I want a circuit of LED or RGB that can connect to direct current like a lightbulb does..

Here are the details of parts 2 small for the camera

RCA.MB10R

ICNE2521DE
A11058DF-A

5A1 (or SA1 idk)

Any help appreciated! Thanks

Attachments

• 2FF8F4BD-3471-4F79-B33B-72366A26461F.jpeg
    2FF8F4BD-3471-4F79-B33B-72366A26461F.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 10

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
These are mass produced, hence they are made for possibly a multiple of times less than you can buy even the basic parts.
Forget it, go to local shop and buy perhaps 2 or 4 in a pack.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
There are endless types, shapes and colour of LED available that can all be powered by whatever supply you have available. I'm presuming you aren't going to use the mains supply directly as that would be too dangerous?

If you 'must' use a mains supply then stick with the pre-manufactured units and save your own (and potentially other peoples') life.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
ICNE2521DE LED driver IC (link).
Other components:
1701175990182.pngreistsors and capacitors are are support components to stabilize the LED current, see the application note of the driver ic.

As mentioned before: don't mess with mains when you do not have the necessary experience.
If you want to dabble in LED lighting, use 12 V RBG LED strips or use 5 V WS2812B addressable LED strips which can easily be controlled e.g. by an Arduino and which use only 5 V, much, muuuuch less dangerous than mains.
Thousands of tutorials on both types of LED lithing are available at your fingertips with a quick internet search. You're welcome to ask for detailed help here once you have settled on a safe design idea.

JoshuaMora

Nov 28, 2023
ICNE2521DE LED driver IC (link).
Other components:
View attachment 61828reistsors and capacitors are are support components to stabilize the LED current, see the application note of the driver ic.

As mentioned before: don't mess with mains when you do not have the necessary experience.
If you want to dabble in LED lighting, use 12 V RBG LED strips or use 5 V WS2812B addressable LED strips which can easily be controlled e.g. by an Arduino and which use only 5 V, much, muuuuch less dangerous than mains.
Thousands of tutorials on both types of LED lithing are available at your fingertips with a quick internet search. You're welcome to ask for detailed help here once you have settled on a safe design idea.
Thank you, with this info I can do a bit more in depth research.

The problem Ive had with searching online is so many show you how to make it w led strips and simple stuff, Im looking for a place where I can learn about how and why it works. Increasing my knowledge about it until it makes sense on a fundamental sense.

Reason I wanted to use main is because I will be using the lines where lightbulbs go out from, Ive broken many LED testing w the main, so Im looking for a direct way to connect, that way I dont have to dabble too much w resistance and regulators as that increase the materials needed.

Thank you, will do some in depth research about this and will see what I learn

JoshuaMora

Nov 28, 2023
These are mass produced, hence they are made for possibly a multiple of times less than you can buy even the basic parts.
Forget it, go to local shop and buy perhaps 2 or 4 in a pack.
Yeah, that makes sense. I pulled this circuit out of a LED lightbulb, they quite expensive considering thats its a simple board w lots of plastic for the lightbulb shape.

I will try to find a pre-made circuit like this. Would be perfect, as I can model a housing for it and go w it.

Only problem I see with this is that I will be making more complex LED / RGB groups

JoshuaMora

Nov 28, 2023
There are endless types, shapes and colour of LED available that can all be powered by whatever supply you have available. I'm presuming you aren't going to use the mains supply directly as that would be too dangerous?

If you 'must' use a mains supply then stick with the pre-manufactured units and save your own (and potentially other peoples') life.
I mean, is there any way (apart from capacitors) to make a non-deadly shock become dangerous?

Here in Mexico house current is 120 (not 240)

Idk much about all of this, but have had electric shocks throughout my life, even know stories of friends touching the bare electric box while barefoot, after raining;
he got thrown away couple feet back (he was 14yr old) but he was completely fine.

Knowing more about dangers is always a priority

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Idk much about all of this, but have had electric shocks throughout my life, even know stories of friends touching the bare electric box while barefoot, after raining;
he got thrown away couple feet back (he was 14yr old) but he was completely fine.

Moderators need to step in here and lock this up.
Just turned into uneducated dribble.......

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Ive broken many LED testing w the main,
Better to break a few components than to risk your life.
I suggest you get a decent 5 V poer supply and experiment with LEDs on the safe 5 V side only. Enough to learn there without risking your life (or the life of othes).

JoshuaMora

Nov 28, 2023
Moderators need to step in here and lock this up.
Just turned into uneducated dribble.......
Sheesh, Im just sharing my experience with what you said, If we get scared of asking “ugly” questions how are we supposed to learn.. lack of knowledge and wisdom is the reason why accidents happen?

JoshuaMora

Nov 28, 2023
The more you have a very good reason not to dabble with mains!
Ig I will have to do personal research about this? Cause everyone here seems terrified with it, didn’t ever research cause no one really explained or did a big show about it

JoshuaMora

Nov 28, 2023
Better to break a few components than to risk your life.
I suggest you get a decent 5 V poer supply and experiment with LEDs on the safe 5 V side only. Enough to learn there without risking your life (or the life of othes).
Ig I can connect a 5v power supply to the main & do the rest from there, connecting the 5v when electricity is disconnected

I do have a question regarding the 5v, what if I connect 100 RGBs? Will I need more Volts or just more Amps

Forgot to say on other response that Im not a fan of LED strips as I want to position my individual LEDs in unique places & have the possibility to interact w their color & brightness individually

JoshuaMora

Nov 28, 2023
Idk, I feel like I have to hire someone to tell me how to archive what I want, too many questions for a very specific system.

Power supply/Batteries
Arduino
RGBs

Don’t even know if arduinos can control Voltage directly..

Well, thanks for all your help, I now have it clear I need to speak with someone in person

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Your questions tell us what you don't know, in more ways than one.

This has nothing to do with ""ugly" questions", and the experienced members of this forum are not at all "terrified" of mains circuits. What we are afraid of is the danger to someone who has no idea how dangerous and unforgiving mains circuits are. Giving advice to someone who does not have the training or experience to proceed safely makes us complicit and liable in what could be a very bad outcome.

ak

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I can't really tell you how to do such things without a schematic. You must learn how to read schematics.
First you must learn basic electronics theory the components how they work how they interact with each other.
The laws that govern them.
I know your resources are limited and you are curious and if you're anything like me you're going to do it anyway.
As a little boy I used to kill flies by plugging in an extension cord that had the other end cut off & placing the two conducting wires in between a piece of plastic,my father was furious with me because "I didn't know" I could have killed myself and my brothers.
Learning how to read schematics... that will open the door for
you and let your imagination run wild safely.

JoshuaMora

Nov 28, 2023
Your questions tell us what you don't know, in more ways than one.

This has nothing to do with ""ugly" questions", and the experienced members of this forum are not at all "terrified" of mains circuits. What we are afraid of is the danger to someone who has no idea how dangerous and unforgiving mains circuits are. Giving advice to someone who does not have the training or experience to proceed safely makes us complicit and liable in what could be a very bad outcome.

ak
This is exactly the reason why Im asking about these dangers, to be one person less that may cause them and 1 person more that can explain those dangers to someone that doesnt know them

JoshuaMora

Nov 28, 2023
I can't really tell you how to do such things without a schematic. You must learn how to read schematics.
First you must learn basic electronics theory the components how they work how they interact with each other.
The laws that govern them.
I know your resources are limited and you are curious and if you're anything like me you're going to do it anyway.
As a little boy I used to kill flies by plugging in an extension cord that had the other end cut off & placing the two conducting wires in between a piece of plastic,my father was furious with me because "I didn't know" I could have killed myself and my brothers.
Learning how to read schematics... that will open the door for
you and let your imagination run wild safely.

Thank you, I will read this to learn more. I know electronics is a whole world, I just wasnt sure where to start.

I will close the thread now, whith this info I can make a new more elaborated thread