Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wiring Permanent Magnet DC motor to Motor Controller

StormyWaters

Nov 30, 2012
I came across a 110v dc motor a friend bought for a project and ended up using a smaller motor cause this thing is huge. It has 3 wires, the wire diagram shows A1 and A2 and says its reverse-able. I guess that means armature 1 and 2 plus the 3rd green wire is a ground. I found a motor controller off ebay. I understand where to wire the input. I believe the 2 wires not the ground can be wired to the armature + or -. I get confuse for the excitation + and - tabs on my motor controller. The manual shows a curly cue (transitor?) wired to the excitation. I don't know if i should do anything with the excitation connectors or if i need to hook them up some how.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Do not connect anything to this motor until you find out what type of motor it is.

It could be permanent magnet, series wound or shunt wound or even compound wound.
Whatever you do, start out with a series resistor which can take the full motor current so that the current is limited.

Do not assume the green wire is ground, it could be field winding.

Also, fix the motor securely. When a powerful motor starts off, the reaction torque will make it twist.

StormyWaters

Nov 30, 2012
permanent magnet motor is in the title. I haven't hooked anything up, I was to afraid to. I couldn't find a product manual for the motor either.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Check that there is a connection between A1 and A2.
Check that there is NO connection between either A1 or A2 and frame.
Check that there is a connection between green wire and frame. If so, this is ground (earth).
Power goes in to A1 and A2.

You will need a DC motor controller of more than 3A, the bigger the better.
A 100W lamp (bulb) in series with the motor will limit the current if you get something wrong. The lamp can be removed when things appear OK

Remember that this will be running on lethal voltages.